Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some Facts To Consider For The Science Minded...  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Some Facts To Consider For The Science Minded...
« on: August 22, 2023, 01:46:56 am »
Are dinosaur bones 'really' 75 million years old? Maybe some things to consider for the Science minded...

https://youtu.be/wLCEXkZ6tgg
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

salvo

Re: Some Facts To Consider For The Science Minded...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 05:34:44 pm »
Hi Ben,

We have a few old fossils on this forum that have a pile of soft tissue inside that rock-hard bone that sits upon their necks.

I wouldn't have believed this,... yet there it is.

Don't hate me just because I'm handsome.

C'mon folks! It's a joke.

Sal

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 06:11:48 pm »
:shocked: :wink:
Which part is the joke part Sal, the handsome part?  lol  :cool:  J/K
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 12:27:00 pm »
Personally, I have no beef with 75 million year old  trace amounts of soft tissue. If it gets sealed off to the point of chemical reactions stopping, you might as well look at it as time stopping. It's an incredible long shot, but so is our existence. .. or the universe existing the way it does, for that matter.
I do have a problem with young earth creationism that tries to use discoveries like these for their own ends. I think they're trying to do the equivalent of making applesauce from oranges ... or a burger out of veggies .. all disgusting stuff, imo. I happen to like apples, oranges, burgers, veggies, the Bible, and Sciences ; and don't think there's any reason to spoil one with the other. I do think there are ways that they go together nicely.

A bit of trivia for the heck of it .. The first person to estimate the age of the universe as being "finite" and comparable to the numbers arrived at by the big bang theory was Moses ben Maimon (1138 ?1204 AD), a Sephardic rabbi. His calculations were based on the various cycles and references to time differentials between man's and God's perspective (mentioned in books which are today found in the OT and Talmud) .. to arrive at 15.3 billion years. I haven't been able to find anything with a comparable number between his estimation and the big bang theory ... doesn't really mean anything, but I think it's cool. Also, he didn't insist he was right on the estimation, just presented it as an idea.
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 01:03:17 pm »
Also, he didn't insist he was right on the estimation, just presented it as an idea.
This is why I find prehistoric dating science so incredibly frustrating.  All sides seem to work off of an agenda even more so than is usual, and present their findings as "factual" with far too many holes in their methodology and reasoning.  This is the only branch of science I am essentially uninterested in, exclusively because the real answer is that we probably will never know for sure exactly how old all of these things are, since all dating methods are based on a lot of suppositions (except for carbon dating, which can only date back 50,000 years, give or take, with accuracy).     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 01:06:34 pm »
In my opinion it was an interesting article, especially since scientist from abroad have engaged in debate concerning these findings and such debate is 'still in progress' and ongoing within the scientist community, concerning the discovery of soft bio-tissue in those bones. Which leaves previous findings wide open for further debate  Such discussion and debate among scientific experts is healthy for the entire scientific community IMHO, and I do not have 'any problem' with their ongoing studies, theories, and debates at all.

Clone time at Jurassic Park? lol :wink:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 01:08:50 pm »
Clone time at Jurassic Park? lol :wink:
That was my first thought, actually.  :cheesy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUaFYzFFbBU
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 01:10:17 pm »
lol
 :wink:

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 01:23:25 pm »
nah, we'll probably never be able to do that ... but genetically engineering dinosaur-like creatures is a different story ... gotta have AI for that...

High hopes here for a genetically engineered dragon mount ... the heck with horses  :cheesy:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

anything