Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Christmas trees and chemical spray  (Read 2124 times)

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Christmas trees and chemical spray
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:49:05 am »
does anyone know what kinda chemicals they use on christmas trees and is it toxic to the bees i have a few farmers in a few bee yards that have trees just came to mind thought i would ask to see if this is an issue i should be looking at in further detail           

Chris

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Christmas trees and chemical spray
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:52:24 am »
I know bag worms attack many evergreens like Spruce.  Actually the caterpillar of a moth:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagworm_moth

There are also other moth caterpillars that attack evergreens, but the bag worms seem to be the most common.  They can wreak havoc on unhealthy trees.

Being of the order Lepidoptera, BT would probably kill them in their early instars, but I would guess the people who grow trees for commercial purposes use something a little more durable than BT.  Just a guess, I don’t grow Christmas trees, I just like a few in the yard.  I just pick the bagworms off the trees when I see them. 

Offline texjim

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:32:22 pm »
i was wondering if that is the reason i am having a hard time with my hives.. i have christmas tree fields all around my hives.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:05:46 am »
Thats why i am asking to see if the spray is harmful to the bees before i put hives near the trees. Anyone on the forum know if the tree spray for these trees is a problem for the bees would be great help   Chris

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:14:45 pm »
Here is a link to some info from NC.  PA might be very different.  Notice how less and less is being used. 

Pesticide use in Xmas tree plantations, NC

The best way to find out what pesticides your neighbors are using is ASK them.  If you can't do that talk to the Extension Agent in that county.

Make Mead!

Offline texjim

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:55:27 pm »
they do the aerial spray in my area.. so you know the mist travels..

anything