Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: water  (Read 4627 times)

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
water
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:23:54 pm »
Hi,

Newbie here.  Do you need to provide water during winter months?  If so, How do you do this during freezing temps?

Thanks
David

Offline djastram

• New Bee
    • My youtube videos
Re: water
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 08:33:07 pm »
The bees should have plenty of water inside the hive, due to condensation.

It's usually a problem.

DJ

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:56:46 pm »
What DJ said.
During the winter, bees depend upon the condensation on the walls for water.  They use water to dilute honey. If that water was coming from the ceiling that could kill the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:05:21 pm »
I do not worry about giving them water.   Summer or winter. 

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 06:56:29 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. 

How would you combat the winter condensation inside hive?  How about other seasons?  Would you take the the cover off for a short time?

Thanks again
David

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:06:25 am »
> Do you need to provide water during winter months?

No.

>Would you take the the cover off for a short time?

The bees are constantly producing moisture.  You need a method that constantly lets it out.  Opening the hive will relieve moisture issues only until you put the cover back on, and will create problems with cold.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswinter.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:42:22 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. 

How would you combat the winter condensation inside hive?  How about other seasons?  Would you take the the cover off for a short time?

Thanks again
David

It helps some to tilt the back of the hive up a half inch or so to let the condensation go to the front of the hive. And putting dry sugar on news paper on top of the frames help also for condensation and feed.

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:51:08 am »
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.  Sounds like I allot more research and will be asking more questions in the future.  What I understand is cold is not a factor as much as condensation.  This would be my biggest hurdle next year with my new colony.

thanks again.

David

Offline lomatia

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 05:33:57 pm »
In Oz I float tennis balls in a bucket of water .... great landing platforms. We do get heavy frosts and occasionally snow but I guess there would be a lot of condensation inside in winter as stated by others.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »
>In Oz I float tennis balls in a bucket of water .... great landing platforms.

I would think they would roll and the bees would land in the water... Scrap boards work fine...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ret Sgt Robert Yates

• New Bee
  • Live Life & Enjoy you may not be here Tomarrow
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 01:07:36 am »
I used Google Earth to look around my place and in zoom out mode to see just what Fresh water sources are available in the area and found that there are about 6 with in less then 1/3 to 1/2 mile of the house and there are fresh water springs & streams as well . it may help you out to see what you have in your area .

Best Regards
Ret, Sgt. Robert D. Yates, Bee Master in Training,
13 & on Forge

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 02:55:05 am »
During the winter, bees depend upon the condensation on the walls for water.  They use water to dilute honey.

That sounds logical, but I have NEVER seen the bees licking up any condensation.....and I've looked   :cool:

I installed clear poly tops on a bunch of hives a couple years ago and monitored the winter condensation with various top/bottom entrance configurations.  Lots of condensation on the clear poly tops when using bottom entrances.  Never once did I see a bee "drinking" any of that condensation.  Granted, I didn't watch them 24-7, but I didn't see any changes in the condensation from day to day either.

I have also fed my bees water in the middle of winter, but that is a story for another day  :cool:   Even Danno liked that report  :oops:

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 07:19:58 pm »
In the summer months it was been shown in Oz that a hive will consume up to 5 litres a day to cool the hive. When you realize how much a bee can carry that is a lot of trips that are not carrying nectar, so the closer the water the better. Same research also showed that they prefer slightly "tainted" water - second hand water from the fowl yard, pond water with algae growing in it, muddy puddles they seem to avoid fresh water from a tap unless no other alternative.
David L

Offline CBT

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 08:06:19 pm »
I agree, the closer the water when they need it the less time hauling. It's funny they like dirty water and pool water.

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 02:33:07 am »
cbt try drinking some of the local water and youd see why they like it matured somewhat
most tap water has been treated with salt chlorine to sanitize it for consumption so a day or to in the sun will kill of most of the added chems and make it good bee juice.

Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 05:31:13 am »
In the summer months it was been shown in Oz that a hive will consume up to 5 litres a day to cool the hive. When you realize how much a bee can carry that is a lot of trips that are not carrying nectar, so the closer the water the better. Same research also showed that they prefer slightly "tainted" water - second hand water from the fowl yard, pond water with algae growing in it, muddy puddles they seem to avoid fresh water from a tap unless no other alternative.

So they're just like dogs really.

anything