Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ah, those Light Brahma and Black Cochin chicks  (Read 12730 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Ah, those Light Brahma and Black Cochin chicks
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:55:17 pm »
Popping in just for a minute to bring some nice little pictures to my friends here.  I hope that you enjoy them, they are cute as little puddles of mud, hee, hee.

Got a couple of questions for anyone who raises Light Brahmas and Black Cochins (standard). Not sure if anyone here on our forum may be lurking, reading, perhaps only a guest, but I am hoping that someone will be able to help me.   I have only raised one Light Brahma from a chick, and that is my 15 month old rooster.  He was solid yellow with some beige on him at hatch.  These Brahma chicks have me befuddled.  I know that they are purebreed because the Brahma rooster is the only guy in with the Brahma hens.  When I was getting that batch of eggs ready for the incubator, I almost grabbed the eggs as they were coming out their vents, smiling.  Well, not really, I waited til the hens would leave the nest and grab that egg immediately and store it.

The Light Brahmas seem to have the most un-uniform colouring, and I am really wondering if this is just the way that cookie crumbles, and that is how the babies just look.  But most of all, I want to know why their is such different colouring between the chicks.  Does anyone know?

Also, the Black Cochin chicks are yellow and black, getting more black all the time.  But another thing I really need to know is, how on earth can yellow feathers turn black.  It is hard to imagine that all that yellow will turn to black.  Maybe these won't be solid black.  Again, does anyone know why this?  I have had a few Australorpe chicks that I have raised and they had a lot of yellow on them too, and they are now solid black. Tell me, how can yellow feathers turn black.  Got a bunch of shots of the chicks.  Is this what Light Brahma chicks really look like?  Why?  These guys are now 15 days old.  Enjoy the pics, and have that beautiful day, loving and living our great life, with that wonderful health.  Cindi

Light Brahma (I think cockeral, but not sure)

Light Brahma

Light Brahmas

Light Brahma

Light Brahma

Light Brahma

Light Brahma

Black Cochin

Black Cochin

Black Cochin

Black Cochin fuzzy butt

This Cochin in the picture following this paragraph came from my Black Cochin trio, think something is going on with one of them and their genetics that is bothering me a whole lot......I thought it was a Light Brahma until today, but the hatch numbers never added up with which breed.  I was stupified, now it all makes sense, it is not Brahma but Cochin.  Someone is not true with those three Black Cochins and I don't like it.  There was a brown one that was born from one of them, and I need to find out who is the one making colours that are different than black.  I think I know who, but that is an entirely different post, smiling.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Ah, those Light Brahma and Black Cochin chicks
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:00:55 am »
I can't help answer anything about the chickens Cindi. Can only appreciate the photos that are once again so amazing and so darn cute. Especially the ones where they are looking at the camera.

How does brown hair turn gray?? Something about the pigment? The hair follicle. Maybe it is the same for the chickens.

Take care
Love
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:07:18 am »
Oops
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:24:27 am by annette »

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:43:16 pm »
The Light Brahmas seem to have the most un-uniform colouring, and I am really wondering if this is just the way that cookie crumbles, and that is how the babies just look.  But most of all, I want to know why their is such different colouring between the chicks.  Does anyone know?

The pictures of the Light Brahmas look fine to me, I've always experienced an un-uniform color pattern in the chicks and pullets that corrects itself on 1st moult.  Any chicken that has a different colored cape and wings (such as the Light Brahma) there is always a degree of inconsistancy in  the chick coloring.  Solid colored birds don't have that problem.  My Light Brahmas vary from mostly white with black feathering to the opposite.
Your Black Cochins on the other hand has one of  the hens outcrossed to a brown sire.  You can keep the black and blue colors by crossing one with the other but that is because the blue color is a half black gene.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!