Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cooling Cabinet  (Read 7411 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Cooling Cabinet
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2022, 09:09:48 am »
Before I got automated I used a large custom designed "potato masher" to work the setting hiney. It worked well but was quite labour intensive if you make a lot of soft set.
Mimicking the crank design of an oil well you could take the work out of it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2022, 09:13:53 am »
I am posting a picture of a plaster stirrer. Its should work on the same principle as a honey creamer.
Yes it would be way better then what he has now.  He would have to mount it in bearings and find or make a container that is slightly larger then the auger to be most effective.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2022, 06:51:08 pm »
I think the larger bladed stirrer would be the best option. I ended up giving the honey one more stir and then popped it into jars.

These samples will now be given to family and friends so that I can get some feedback. I will keep 1kg for seed honey that I could use in the winter if needed.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2022, 08:49:50 am »
Les, they look spot on. Well done.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2022, 03:55:23 pm »
A big thanks goes out to Acebird  and yourself for all of your comments and advice. Without them, I would not have known the little secrets as to what is required to make good creamed honey. I am just sitting down to breakfast now. Guess what?s on my toast??..

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2022, 05:39:03 pm »
A big thanks goes out to Acebird  and yourself for all of your comments and advice.
Appreciate the complement but my input was theory, Nigel has the experience.  Listen to the theory but follow the experience first.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2022, 06:05:02 pm »
You both made me stop and think which often hurt the old grey matter upstairs. Hopefully some of what you guys put forward will be of some help to others as well. Nigel, what are you charging for the creamed honey in comparison to normal honey? The extra time and equipment obviously has a price. You did mention it in earlier post but the size of the container was not stated.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2022, 12:48:42 am »
Les those look good. Congratulations! Tell us about that breakfast, how was it? 😊

Phillip

I am just sitting down to breakfast now. Guess what?s on my toast??..
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2022, 12:59:30 am »
The honey was smooth and firm. Far better than the commercial creamed honey that I have eaten before. I can only imagine how good Nigel?s product would taste.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2022, 01:08:47 am »
The honey was smooth and firm. Far better than the commercial creamed honey that I have eaten before. I can only imagine how good Nigel?s product would taste.

It taste good to you and we are our best critique in most cases, as we strive for the best possible.  Nigels' does have the Snow White look but as far as taste, remember what Nigel said: "IN many respects the colour is immaterial, as long as your soft set is smooth on the tongue." So there you have it form the man of experience himself!! Keep up the good work Les.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2022, 02:55:45 am »
Thanks Phillip. It was an area of beekeeping that was totally foreign to me. To have input from members who have experience and knowledge actually helped in the learning process. Their icomments saved me a lot of time and most probably disappointment. The quality of the soft set is actually better than I thought it would be. The only real issue I have is that it is labour intensive (if you don?t have Nigel?s equipment) In hindsight, the little stirrer that I made actually worked quite well. My test batch was only about 6kg and the mixer stirred the honey thoroughly. I may make a slightly bigger batch and see how it handles a larger volume. The honey did change colour during the mixing and there was an increase in temperature during the process. I wish now that I?d measured the temperature change. Nigel would then be able to give feedback as to its efficiency (based on his knowledge of this subject) The low speed metal drill that I used did the job with ease. I am confident that I could make something larger (based on a comment made by Acebird) The feedback I get from family and friends will dictate whether I include soft set as a saleable item along with the other honey products that I sell.

anything