Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WARNING: This SAFE organic pesticide killed my bees.  (Read 4378 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: WARNING: This SAFE organic pesticide killed my bees.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 10:39:24 pm »
Cool, where ya been?  I have not seen you post in a while.  So very good to see your post.  You always have good input.  Don?t leave!!!!

Blessings
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 10:48:03 pm »
Cool, where ya been?  I have not seen you post in a while.  So very good to see your post.  You always have good input.  Don?t leave!!!!

Blessings
Van

I agree Mr Van, I am glad to have him back too!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 11:56:19 pm »
 :grin: :grin: :grin: I ain't leavin' Mr Van. Just been busy.

I've been reading occasionally, and I really appreciate your posts. (And everyone else's too!)  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 08:11:02 am »
Van,
I have been wondering if BTA was mixed in with your BTK. After hurricane Irvin and Michael, they switch a using one for the other to kill mosquitoes and they killed a lot of bees.
Jim Altmiller 
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:57 am »
Good a guess as any, Jim.  BTA would certainly kill bees.  The awazi [sp] kills flying insects as you so noted.  The product I purchased was not supposed to contain BTA but anything is possible.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 10:09:15 pm »
 Ya'll talking about the aizawai strain killing flying insects  (and bees) made me go back and research this all over again. Cornell University and all others still state the aizawai strain of BT is the correct (although legally USA unapproved) strain. I have used it for years. It is legal in Europe under a couple of names https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealth/products/b401/ and Mellonex. I still contend the K strain started being used due to it being sold in garden stores. I know things are being develope all the time, but Bt is mixed with water normally and will spoil in a couple of days. It also has a shelf life in the package. I don't know what is in that bottle that Vann has, but would like to
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 01:09:27 pm »
The none Chemical way:

Leave them out for the bees to clean up,
put them in a freezer for at least 6 hours and I tend to leave them a day,
take them out of the freezer and inside my house to warm.
Once warm they go into a box that has been flamed with my propane weed burner,
and then bagged in those thick mil contractor bags.
I zip tie them tightly closed and stack them out in the garage/storage shed.

You gotta be very careful mixing YouTube and Chemistry, more especially when playing with things that can be toxic or go boom.  I highly doubt the product was "Intended" to be directly applied to frames and then have bees on it wet, it almost can be guaranteed that it must be dry, and probably for a while before one could call it safe.  The issue may well be the carrier fluid, and they never intended the bees to come in contact with the carrier fluid.

Better living through Chemistry?

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2019, 08:41:53 pm »
I have saved comb for a number of years now without any wax moth damage using the following steps:

- if honey comb (as opposed to brood comb) extract honey and return frames to hives for bees to clean up
- put the frames in the freezer inside a plastic trash bag for 24 hours
- store frames in heavy compactor trash bags (reduces chance of puncture holes for wax moths to get in or that they can chew through)

Before I did the freezing step, I did get some wax moth damage. Once you've done that, the heavy bags prevent access by the moths.

---Oops, sorry didn't read to the end of the thread and now see that Bahbees already said the same thing!

anything