Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Painting your hives  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Barbara

• House Bee
Painting your hives
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:58:43 am »
I've seen lots of discussion about painting your hives, and I've seen a few pictures of hives that have been painted with bright colors, and of course many that are painted white.  Is it necessary to paint your hives a 'color'?  I would love to keep the natural wood color on my hives.  Is there a sealant of some sort I can use that will help the hives to weather better, but not harm the bees?  Do the bees care what color the hive is? My hives are almost assembled and ready to be painted to get ready for my nucs set to arrive in two weeks.  Any suggestions?

Barbara
Barbara

Offline Barbara

• House Bee
Re: Painting your hives
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:32:42 pm »
Okay, I've just gone back and read all the threads on painting/staining your hive boxes.  I guess I should have done that before I posted.  I'm a newbee all around, bees . . . forums . . .

Barbara

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:05:20 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:12:54 am »
What ever mismatch they have at the store and if my youngsters feel artistic determines the look on the outside.  Have fun. :-D
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Barbara

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:04:49 am »
I found mistinted paint at Lowe's, so my hives are going to baby blue.   :-D
Barbara

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:07:54 pm »
So the "mentor" I have here suggested painting something on the front of the hive to help the bees determine their hive, I guess by sight. I have noticed the pictures of peoples beeyards dont have little idnetifying marks, some do. I have my hive painted white but no other decorations. Has anyone else heard of this?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:08:52 am »
Shawn, bees are pretty good at orienting to their own hive location.  They do this orienting with many aspects of their hives, the symbols or whatever you put on your hives can also help too, it can't hurt, but is not necessary.  All my colonies have numbers and letters on the front of their colonies, but that is mostly for my own use to identify them.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 11:45:50 pm »
Hi Shawn,
I have letters on my hive bodies.  One winter when I was looking for something to do ,I stencilled bees on all my supers in random patterns.  I don't know that it does anything for my bees but it makes me smile to see them!

anything