Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To Feed or Not to Feed  (Read 1292 times)

Offline BretB

• New Bee
To Feed or Not to Feed
« on: February 16, 2020, 06:50:09 pm »
I am not a bee keeper and live in Bend Oregon. This is my first post so hope I got this in the right place. The bees are coming in to my bird feeder and from what I have read they may be starving? The temps during the last few days have been between 45 and 60 during the day and in the thirties at night. It has been a really dry winter. We live on an organic 1/2 acre and grow a huge garden. This time of year not much grows except for a few herbs. We had a beekeeper try to keep some bees here a few years back but it didn?t work out. There are bees all over in the summer when the garden is growing and we realize how important they are. I am looking for advise if we should try to feed these or not. I researched a few things. Some say yes and some say no. What would you do? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for any replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: To Feed or Not to Feed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 08:43:24 pm »
Mr. Bret, hello and welcome.  Your question is opinion based and not moral.  You are doing a good thing feeding the birds.  As in your statement above some beekeepers: will say yes, others no to feeding bees.  I don?t see any harm with the bees poaching off a bird feeder. 

Now if your sugar feed has red dye added to the sugar a local beekeeper might not like the red nectar in their hive, However, no serious harm.  So if you enjoy the bees keep the bird feeder.  If the bees are not wanted, change your style of bird feeder.  Good thing that you care enough about Nature to ask.  Blessings

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 09:39:16 pm »
Bret,
Welcome to Beemaster.
This time of year is when many Beekeepers are feeding their bees to build them us, at least in the south.
Never feed store bought honey. It probably has American Foul Brood. Just feet them 1 to 1 sugar water.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BretB

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 09:59:03 pm »
I read something online that said if they were into my bird feeder they were probably starving. This concerned me as I love having them around and want to help if I can. What about one of the bee feeders that is a quart canning jar, holes in lid, upside down in a deep plate, with pebbles around it? It said to make a sugar and water solution using white sugar. I might try one of these unless it will mess something up. Just want to help the little guys if I can.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:59:13 pm »
Jim, you are correct.  Store bought honey is pasteurized at 140F, which destroys the natural very beneficial antioxidants/enzymes in honey, prevents crystallization and kills bacteria, BUT does not destroy bacterial seeds, or spores as they are properly called and America Foulbrood certainly has spores.  Good catch, Jim.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 08:42:51 am »
I am not a bee keeper and live in Bend Oregon.
Do not feed bees that are not your own.  It causes contaminated honey for those that are raising bees for that purpose.  Bees do not need human intervention unless humans are causing a problem for them.  Most efforts toward "saving the bees" is counter productive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BretB

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 08:45:13 am »
Do not feed bees that are not your own.  It causes contaminated honey for those that are raising bees for that purpose.  Bees do not need human intervention unless humans are causing a problem for them.  Most efforts toward "saving the bees" is counter productive.
I thought that may be the case. Thank you for the reply.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 02:14:28 pm »

Brettb, I believe Ace has the correct answer to your question.

I am a beekeeper. If my neighbor was feeding my bees sugar water, it would ruin the value of my honey. If I didn't know it was happening, I could run into trouble with my customers, if they figured it out before I did. My customers might think I was false advertising, even lying, about the quality of my honey - and I would be innocent, but unable to prove it, and unable to know what happened.

Spring is coming in your area (Bend is very pretty) - the bees will have plenty to eat shortly.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln