Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone Know What This Is?  (Read 5040 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Anyone Know What This Is?
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:00:50 pm »
The guy who owned my family's house before us had 1 hive, and he left his homemade hive stand here when he left.  Behind it is this... thing.  I can't figure out what this thing is.  It's not well constructed (the front piece only has 1 nail on each side, so the wood split a little and now that piece revolves around), and it actually fell over the day after I took this picture, because apparently it was being held up more by the tangle of weeds that had grown over it over the summer.   :shocked: :embarassed:  Is this some sort of beekeeping equipment that I'm not aware of?  If not, any theories?         

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:53:28 pm by Robo »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Anyone Know What This Is?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:55:25 am »
It might be a frame stand if it is the right width.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 02:41:04 pm »
It might be a frame stand if it is the right width.
Hey, good idea!  You might be right about that.  It's approx. 19 x 21.5 in.  Is a frame stand like a common piece of equipment?  In what sort of situation would you use one? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 03:29:57 pm »
In what sort of situation would you use one?

As you are checking your hive and want to take multiple frames out for room, you would hang them on a frame holder.  I use an empty box.  anything that is the right size would do.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 05:34:49 pm »
I don't use one because there is a chance the queen is on a frame and falls to the ground unnoticed.  It also leaves frames vulnerable to robbing if you are in that season.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 07:25:10 pm »
Oh, I get it.  Thanks for the info.  I'm thinking about getting one of those frame holders that goes on the side of the hive so you have somewhere other than the ground to put the frame you take out.  Even if I did right this old wooden one, I just doubt I would trust it enough to use it.   

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »
I did put frame holders on all my stands.  I use a box on the ones that are not on its own stand.  I use them everytime I inspect.  I have heard of people that take what ace said into account and also just to keep the hive calmer that carry a towel of cover to put over the hive body that they keep frames to make room while they inspect.  I really like mine incorperated into my hive stands cause I never have to carry anything but a hive tool when I inspect.  I saw one guy that purposely removes the queen on a frame and leans it up against the hive so that he can not kill the queen while he is inspecting.  It is part of this vidio series but I could not tell you which vidio just that I know it is there.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/honeybee/videos.shtml
Cheers
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:05:26 am »
I bought a frame holder during my second year of beekeeping. I used it a lot that year. It did not take long before I started just putting the frames on the ground and leaning them up against the hive or the hive next to it. I think you will find most experienced beekeepers do the same.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 01:16:14 pm »
I bought a frame holder during my second year of beekeeping. I used it a lot that year. It did not take long before I started just putting the frames on the ground and leaning them up against the hive or the hive next to it. I think you will find most experienced beekeepers do the same.
Jim
Why exactly did you stop using it, Jim?  What sort of downside did it present? 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 11:27:36 pm »
Jim
Why exactly did you stop using it, Jim?  What sort of downside did it present? 
I have had the frames fall off of the hangers. Especially if there is only one frame on it.
Once you get used to placing a frame on the ground you really don't need a hanger.
I have also left the frame hanger on the opposite side of a brood box and then stacked Supers on top of it and had to take it apart again.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 06:32:00 pm »
Once you get used to placing a frame on the ground you really don't need a hanger.

Just watch where on the ground you put them.  Bees up the pant leg...not so good.  An extra deep works if you have a place to put it and if you are worried about losing the queen, put a board under it. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 01:22:17 pm »

Just watch where on the ground you put them.  Bees up the pant leg...not so good.  An extra deep works if you have a place to put it and if you are worried about losing the queen, put a board under it.
I am a little concerned about that.  And I'm concerned about having them just on the ground near my feet because I'm kind of a klutz.  :embarassed:  (That's Pennsylvania Dutch for "clumsy".  :happy:)  But that sounds like a good alternative to the frame hanger, since with your setup the frames obviously couldn't fall then.