Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless Comb Collapse  (Read 2728 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Foundationless Comb Collapse
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 01:25:36 am »
Cool bees
If I was going to do foundationless, I would do what we do for comb honey, just put a piece of timber, 3/8 x 3/8 across the frame, horizontal in the centre. Staple in each end and done.
We coat the inside surfaces with melted wax to encourage uniformity.
We do cheat alittle as we put them between drawn frames to start them, never done a whole box of them.
If we come across a frame extracting that we don't want to keep we just put it through the uncapper and then spin it out. doesn't blow out.

Good advice. Thank you OldBeavo.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:46:26 am by CoolBees »
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 01:37:31 am »
Alan, sorry about the bees and the queen,  the bees will clean that up, if enough survived.  You really get 4 quakes a day?  Anyway, still early in the year and just one split from being able to have another hive.  I am thankful the top was only effected. I Hope the rest of the season is fruitful.
Blessings

Mr Van - thank you. And your right,  ... 1 split away from "back to normal"  :cool:

As for quakes - most of them are small, and can't be felt. Here's a map ... http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 05:33:50 pm »
I mix foundationless frames in with foundation frames all the time.  I never had a meltdown because I always keep on vented supers between the inner cover and top cover - to keep a good convection current going. In the dead heat of the summer, I pull the slide out of the screened bottom board to help with this.  I have this vented super on all year long.  (But in the winter, I plug up 6 of the 8 holes to prevent downdrafts.  This still allows warm, moist air to escape. I never have a moisture problem.)
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 08:35:52 am »
As for quakes - we get 4-10 a day (small)
Put your hives on a square of hoarse pad.  It is black rubber about 3/4 thick.
Up north my hives were next to a 4 lane highway and a small bridge.  I suspect the vibrations from trucks made my bees cement the heck out of the hives and burr comb everywhere.  I used foundation though and liked to use one season of brood comb for honey.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything