Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rescue Operation  (Read 8452 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
Re: Rescue Operation
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 01:55:06 pm »
They were swarmed over the cage and didn't want to let go but were not aggressive toward me and I was able gently to get them out of the way for a good hold.  She came out with her blue mark and went right down into the combs with brood.

How long should I wait to look?  I'm thinking two weeks but don't know why!  LOL
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 02:39:29 pm »
They were swarmed over the cage and didn't want to let go but were not aggressive toward me and I was able gently to get them out of the way for a good hold.  She came out with her blue mark and went right down into the combs with brood.

How long should I wait to look?  I'm thinking two weeks but don't know why!  LOL

I do not know! lol But there are fellow beekeepers here that do, Mr Van, iddee, HP, AR, and Oldbeavo along with others are a few which come to mind.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2020, 04:01:39 am »
My personal experience is after I release I come back in a few days to check an see if she has began laying ✔️. No set amount of time. The following I looked up for you.
Answer:
After she has been released from her cage, she may begin to lay right away as she is likely already mated, but it can take her up to another 7 days after release to get established enough in her to home to begin laying eggs.

I got that from the following
https://beehour.com/how-long-does-it-take-for-a-queen-bee-to-start-laying-eggs/
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2020, 12:56:35 pm »
How soon to go back to look really depends what you are looking for.  Are you looking to see if she has been killed or looking to see how the colony is doing at rebuilding?
If you are worried about acceptance, check in 2 days from release.
If you are checking for brood progress, and to avert early supercedure, 10 days.
Inspect on 7 to 10 day interval going forward, checking health and managing space.  Never more than 10 days. Lest you shall lose another queen to more queen cells, battle royales, and/or swarm(s).
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2020, 01:38:10 pm »
Thanks, guys.

The foragers are bringing in a lot of light colored pollen, nearly every bee loaded with it.

If it is sunny and warm today I might take a peek.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2020, 02:14:54 pm »
> If you are checking for brood progress, and to avert early supercedure, 10 days

Mr HP. If supercedure cells are present, and are taken down at the time you reccomend, will this usually ward off Supersedure? Can it take more than one  round of removing supercedure cells to stop supercedure?  Thanks

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 03:40:25 pm »
Mr. Ben, why try to avoid supersedure?  If I see supersedure cells, I let the bees do their will.  Last Spring, a package hive was created.  In two weeks, supersedure cells appeared although the queen looked fine to me and was laying well.  I did not interfere.  A new queen hatched, mated and was laying alone side her mother.  The two queens remained in the hive for four weeks.  I do not know which queen prevailed as I did not mark either queen.  For 4 weeks, I checked this package hive weekly and two queens appeared casual.  The fifth week, only one queen remained.

Kinda unusual behavior to have 2 queens, but I have seen before, always in Spring.

I could understand tearing down supersedure cells for a highly rated, proven queen introduced into a new hive.  Is this your thought Mr. Ben?

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2020, 06:27:37 pm »
Mr. Van, that was exactly my thoughts. I was thinking of your beloved Alpha and how you held on to her for 4 1/2 years.  Also your Thelma Lou or any other queen we may not want superceded for whatever a specific reason. I was not thinking so much of actually tearing the supersedure cells down as junk, but doing so with the idea of starting new nucleus colonies. From what I understand supersedure cells make good queens. Is this correct Mr. Van? Thanks!

Let me add, I have more than one person say that package bees are known to be a supersedure type situation. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:50:16 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Rescue Operation
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2020, 04:21:33 am »
> If you are checking for brood progress, and to avert early supercedure, 10 days

Mr HP. If supercedure cells are present, and are taken down at the time you reccomend, will this usually ward off Supersedure? Can it take more than one  round of removing supercedure cells to stop supercedure?  Thanks
Yes, it will stop the SS.  If the queen is any good. Newly introduced queens (including package queens) are at risk until they get into full lay and exuding pheromones galore. Until that happens the bees may react to low brood and low queen essence by building cells off of the earliest eggs laid. Help that new queen get established by destroying those early cells. Usually takes only one intervention. Sometimes two.  If there is a third intervention, then Something is inherently wrong with her.
I am talking about newly introduced queens and packages here.  When an already well established queen starts having supersedure cells, that is a totally different case.   Keep the cases separate please so as to avoid confusion and mixed messaging about cells. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2020, 06:53:51 pm »
It worked!

She was accepted and is hard at work.

Praise the Lord!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2020, 11:24:35 pm »
It worked!

She was accepted and is hard at work.

Praise the Lord!

That is great news and I am happy for you as you have shared your struggles here with us with this hive. I will confess, I was concerned for your chances at this point!  :happy:  And I agree as you said Praise The Lord! As Jeff Horchoff says in every video, Praise Jesus!

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2020, 10:33:57 am »
Thanks, Ben.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2020, 10:35:10 am »
Thanks, Ben.

Your welcome my friend. Keep up the good work! Whether it be bees or life!

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2020, 08:19:10 pm »
I don't know.  This backyard hive is breaking my heart.

Went in today.  Saw no queen, eggs, or young larva.  Just a few capped brood yet to emerge and older larva.  There are two supersedure cells.  These were probably from two frames of brood introduced from my two strong hives in the country.

I think that the high powered queen from California failed.  Who knows if she was even mated as advertised?

Will check again in a few days but am not inclined to invest much more in this operation.

Never lost a hive before.  :(

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2020, 11:31:37 pm »
Thanks for your report. Sorry it is not going as was hoped. I am learning as are you. Thanks for folks like the Honey Pump,  Mr Van, Oldbeavo, and all the others with their patience and guidance. We will do better next season! Hang in there!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:14:21 am by Ben Framed »

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2020, 01:19:12 pm »
What a surprise, I found the queen still alive!

Where there's life, there's hope.

I wonder if I can get them built up to overwinter in a nuc.

Don't have a clue how to do that!  LOL

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2020, 06:47:54 pm »
Feed them... a lot

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2020, 09:25:37 pm »
Feed them... a lot

I've got them in an 8 frame single wall deep body and have fed them for several weeks to the point that I worry about the queen having space to lay her eggs.  There is plenty of food in cells now and the cotton is blooming not far away.

What worries me is the lack of fresh brood.  The queen actually looked bigger and healthier this time but why no fresh brood?

???

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2020, 08:00:23 am »
Is there pollen,  may want to give them some pollen to feed some brood
Good luck

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2020, 11:28:51 am »

Yes, it will stop the SS.  If the queen is any good. Newly introduced queens (including package queens) are at risk until they get into full lay and exuding pheromones galore. Until that happens the bees may react to low brood and low queen essence by building cells off of the earliest eggs laid. Help that new queen get established by destroying those early cells. Usually takes only one intervention. Sometimes two.  If there is a third intervention, then Something is inherently wrong with her.
I am talking about newly introduced queens and packages here.  When an already well established queen starts having supersedure cells, that is a totally different case.   Keep the cases separate please so as to avoid confusion and mixed messaging about cells.

Thanks

anything