Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too dry to shoot?  (Read 5027 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Too dry to shoot?
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:30:41 am »
It's been so dry around here I'm concerned about target practice'n. We had one rain in August, one in September (Sept only had one day that was not in the 90s), and none since. If you drive down the interstate a distance I can almost promise you that you'll run across a large area that's covered in smoke from the woods being on fire.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Re: Too dry to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 11:48:43 pm »
I shoot metal in my range.
Occasionally see sparks from rocks.
Either way, I wouldn't practice for awhile, unless you have a lot of water handy.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:39:53 am »
You could always use an air rifle or a gas pellet gun.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:30:09 pm »
Just looked at the weather channel-looks like you have relief coming :smile:
Neill

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:04:52 pm »
That's what we are hearing, I may call in sick so I can stay home and watch it rain (lol). That'll fly over like a fat hog.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:31:16 pm »
That's what we are hearing, I may call in sick so I can stay home and watch it rain (lol). That'll fly over like a fat hog.
just tell them your taking at religious holiday. you have been praying for rain so long and he finally answered. so you want to honor your promiss to go to church in a new clean shirt.(they  cant get you for religious persecution because they let Muslims do 12 times aday pray at work) or say your part native American and have to do a rain blessing dance.

hey all they can say is no or take a life time vacation. :wink:

john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:54:06 pm »
Yeah, we had a huge fire here a couple of years ago and it was from target practice in the quarry.  Not worth it. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 08:02:28 am »
Occasionally see sparks from rocks.

You can use rubber bullets!!!!!!! :cool:

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 11:54:17 am »
its raining! its raining!

there is    a  GOD!

and he's not a comedian.

john

(shows how old i am. remember the john ridder movie boat seen? )

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 01:04:18 pm »
I was on my way home from a bee meeting last night and it started raining as I crossed the Dames Point Bridge. At first I thought it was the guy in front of me washing his windscreen. I pulled along side of him and I could still see a light rain on my window. By the time I got to the other side of the bridge, it stopped. :angry:
We have a small change of rain this Thursday.   :smile:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 02:36:46 pm »
We got 1.47"s night before last. Strong wind! I sent close to a hundred rounds down range yesterday. My wife put about 50 down range. It's raining today as well.

My heart and prayers go out to the folks up in the smokies. I hope there wasn't anyone on the Appalachian trail. They said the wind was clocked at 87mph, there's no way to control flames with that kind of wind behind them.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »
Wow, thats windy. Hadn't thought about the trail. Hope they were able to get to shelter.
Neill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 11:10:36 pm »
It was really bad up there. I saw a video on facebook of 2  men trying leave their house on a mountain. Every single house on that road was burning to the ground. There were frames across the road most of the way on that road.  They went in one direction until it was blocked by downed trees and then they went back the other way and the video stopped when the road was blocked in the other direction. Some how they got off the mountain.   
It was a rough video to watch. They were lucky.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 11:38:42 pm »
I'm only 10 miles from a county rifle range, 10 bucks will let me shoot reloads all day long so I don't have to worry about setting fire to anything.  Haven't seen any rain for over a month and the girls are into their stores with no bloom anywhere.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 06:18:02 am »
Never to dry to shoot although I confine my BP shooting to the winter months.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 09:42:16 am »
Well in the last week we've got 4.42+ inches of rain. I can finally go back to shooting - when it quits raining :)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 12:20:26 pm »
It's raining, it's raining :happy:

We are getting between 1 to 2 inches of rain today, depending on location. A lot of lightning also.
Jim
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:27:02 am by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 10:52:29 pm »
Good to see you all getting some rain, we have had more than our fair share this year, would be close to 70". Lots of south eastern Aus got very good winter rain, massive amounts of feed about but a lot of areas have hayed off already. We could be in for a bad fire season with the amount of fuel about.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 04:26:37 am »
Turns out that we ended up with over 3" of rain.

70" sounds like a record year. Was it?
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 11:06:47 pm »
Average rainfall is 48"' a couple of years in the 50s they had over 100" but the old timers are saying it is the wettest winter since then. Only had 10" Jan-April, almost 50" May-Sept.

anything