Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thought I'd bump this thread  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Thought I'd bump this thread
« on: December 16, 2019, 08:02:10 pm »
Picked up Borderlands 3.  Figured to mess with it a bit and got hooked.  Anyone else trying it? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Thought I'd bump this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 09:59:48 pm »
My sister and I don't game heavily, but we are always looking for co-op Xbox RPG games, since there seems to be so few of them.  Maybe we'll try Borderlands out in the future.  We are kind of on Halo right now.  We just finished the first one a couple of weeks ago and are going to get the Master Chief collection for Christmas.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 09:00:00 am »
Haven't got enough brain cells to waste on gaming.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 11:00:57 am »
We are kind of on Halo right now.

I ran through all the Halos back in the day, but intend to get the Master Chief collection for the xbox one and do the main story line again.  Better system.  Better TV.   :cheesy:

If you do Borderlands 3 be aware that the main complaint is that the text on much of the stuff is so small you can't read it without getting close to the TV.  I thought it was just me until I looked on the 'net and found it's a consistent complaint. 

I don't co-op but single player is fun.  The game is long enough that it will last me with the small amount of time I have to play.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 11:03:07 am »
Haven't got enough brain cells to waste on gaming.

If you are sitting there playing electronic slots, it's probably a waste of brain cells.  Some people find that fun.

I like strategy and shooters and so my thinking and mental coordination/reflexes are tested.  + I just like blowing things up (on screen)!

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 01:19:47 pm »
We are kind of on Halo right now.

I ran through all the Halos back in the day, but intend to get the Master Chief collection for the xbox one and do the main story line again.  Better system.  Better TV.   :cheesy:

If you do Borderlands 3 be aware that the main complaint is that the text on much of the stuff is so small you can't read it without getting close to the TV.  I thought it was just me until I looked on the 'net and found it's a consistent complaint. 

I don't co-op but single player is fun.  The game is long enough that it will last me with the small amount of time I have to play.
Oh, that tiny text is a problem sometimes.  I have that issue when we do Minecraft with more than 2 people on local multiplayer.  Minecraft is by far and away the video game we do the most in our household.  It's just impossible to exhaust that game.  We basically only do multiplayer games in our house, except for Forza.  One of our other favorite games is Lord of the Rings: War in the North, but I couldn't recommend that to be played as a single player, because it was designed as a 3 player co-op, and it would be impossible to play that game with 2 computer-controlled characters.   

I like strategy and shooters and so my thinking and mental coordination/reflexes are tested.  + I just like blowing things up (on screen)!

Halo is the first game that my sister and I have played that requires a lot of strategy, and we are really enjoying the challenge, and the teamwork that comes with playing it together.  And of course, the shooting up random guys.   :cheesy:

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 09:23:57 am »
I like strategy and shooters and so my thinking and mental coordination/reflexes are tested.
The brain is a very flexible organ.  Your mental coordination/reflexes are not being tested as much as they are being exercised.  Just like a muscle, the more you exercise it the more it will be better at that specific task.  Unfortunately with the brain it usually sacrifices portions of the brain that are not exercised so much.  This is the danger of video games on our young, addiction to the games and less functionality for other parts of the brain.  Entertainment is one thing, addiction is another.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 12:32:17 pm »
Entertainment is one thing, addiction is another.

agreed. 

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 12:15:08 am »
I put *thousands* of hours into a game called Star Wars Galaxies
It was an MMORPG (open world roll playing game - no 'win' condition)
Really loved the game, had our own clan of people from all over the world, had lots of fun - then they 'sunset' the game (shut it down)
Never got back into gaming after that (a bit here and there, but nothing more than a couple hours)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 02:24:46 pm »
Never got back into gaming after that (a bit here and there, but nothing more than a couple hours)

My gaming depends on the weather.  I like questing games, but get bored with them after a while.  I played WOW for a couple of years and am playing Destiny 2 off and on, but it seems like a lot of grinding lately.  Most of the time I like FPS games because blowing things up is relaxing   :grin:

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 01:40:55 am »
I did start playing Magic The Gathering (a trading card game)
Its lots of fun, but not the cheapest game to play
And you can now play it online, but i always prefer going to the local shop and playing against people

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 05:47:13 pm »
Doesn't anyone game anymore?   :grin:

I read back through some of this stuff and some is funny.  I know it says online gaming, but probably should include any gaming.

I just finished DOOM 3.  Kinda clunky but fun anyway.  Long game.

Not sure what to start next.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 05:54:20 pm »
My sister and I can't seem to do anything except board games at the moment.  The biggest problem is we need a cowboy game to do, since that is what we are hot on at the moment, but NONE OF THEM HAVE LOCAL MULTIPLAYER!!  :cry:  Why do all the console game producers think that everyone lives alone in their mom's basement and therefore only wants single player games.  :angry:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 07:46:27 pm »
Why do all the console game producers think that everyone lives alone in their mom's basement and therefore only wants single player games. 

I only do single player because I don't have time to connect with others.  Even back in my WoW days I didn't join a group.  I don't mind if there's an option for both but I don't want multiplayer games   :cheesy:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 08:29:35 pm »
I only do single player because I don't have time to connect with others.  Even back in my WoW days I didn't join a group.  I don't mind if there's an option for both but I don't want multiplayer games   :cheesy:
I don't want to "connect" over the internet with others either, I just want to sit on the couch with my sister.  IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!  All we need is Halo, where two people can simultaneously play as the main character.  Heck, even Halo isn't making the new games multiplayer anymore.  Sometimes we just want something a little more hardcore than Minecraft or Overcooked.  I get why most games aren't multiplayer, but why is it that statistically NONE are?   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2023, 10:05:24 pm »
overcooked or overwatch?  I do like Overwatch sometimes because the commitment is short term. 

Have you tried Titanfall?  Looks like it might be OK.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 12:11:35 am »
overcooked or overwatch?  I do like Overwatch sometimes because the commitment is short term. 
Yep, Overcooked.  No, never tried Overwatch, but maybe should, based on how popular it is.  I'd rather just sit here and be mad that what I want doesn't exist.  :grin:

Have you tried Titanfall?  Looks like it might be OK.
No, again.  My problem there is I think it's just going to be poor man's Halo, but at some point we'll probably get desperate enough.  I'd like some variety in my video gaming life, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.  I think Borderlands has multiplayer, and we've kicked around trying that, just because it's at least a little different of a concept. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 11:30:39 am »
Borderlands is a lot of fun.  It is different if that's what you look for and it's entertaining.  You guys would probably love it.  It's one of the game sets I have played more than once and there are a lot of side games if you want them.