• Field Bee
Bee ID
« on: March 27, 2020, 08:18:50 pm »

Any idea what breed this is?

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Re: Bee ID
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 09:19:18 pm »
Looks like the European Dark Bee, aka German Black Bee, IMO.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:07:15 pm »
I believe you may be right. Any others?

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 11:14:51 pm »
X2 on German black or possibly very dark carnies.
Neill

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:35:12 pm »
Maybe when they throw a swarm I can catch it.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 12:54:51 am »
When I was a boy my first introduction to working bees was with a bee this color. They came from a remote area of Arkabutla Lake which had been flooded by the Corps of Engineers many years prior. I did not have a clue as to what my uncle was doing as I was just tagging along and assumed he did know lol. These bees were in a wood duck box and he was doing the ducks a favor and removing the bees with the duel idea of adding another hive to his apiary.

Those were the meanest bees that I have ever seen! Before of since! In fact we actually thought they were Africanized. They were on us like one of those killer bee special programs that you may watch on television! Which we found they were not killer bees. Some said german blacks bees, really I do not know. My uncle went to Tim Durham and inquired describing the bees. Tim advised him to requeen this hive, which my uncle did. They were soon gentle in due time after requeening, my uncle later told me.

I am wondering if these in your picture are mean? Apparently they are not so mean, I assume because of the close up picture.   lol. Have you tried handling them? Even if they are mean you can requeen them.
Keep in mind, ours were not mean until he opened the box. wooo weee. lol

Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:36:18 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 03:15:51 am »
I see Carniolan coloured (all black body), but more importantly the hairs are thinning or missing from abdomens.  Indicating to me that tHose are likely old bees or sick bees, or both.

Where are these, location geographically?  As where they are may help determine answer to your question of type from the known dominant strains in that area.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 07:41:17 am »
Nock. I saw these bees earlier in the week. I thought it was a honey bee, then not. They were working the flowers, and ignored me, but seemed to make me think of solitary bees for some reason. Their bodies were a little different. Perhaps more hairless or leaner. But then they did seem like honey bees. I forgot about posting this pic until now.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 09:07:41 am »
Phillip - you tell such good stories

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 09:22:41 am »
These are from a feral colony I assume. I don?t have any at moment (will change today). Someone has bees about 2 miles from me but these don?t go that way when they leave. I had a couple frames I put out to let them clean up. They have showed no aggression but they are foraging also. HP I?m in Kentucky.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 11:52:06 am »
Nock, as Mr. Ben texted, there is a German black bee, highly aggressive, smaller than typical itialian  that pops up now and then.

These gentle black bees I call Carniolean,  just in general terms and identified by the black color.  No way a specific term, just in general as determined  by color which is not exactly a scientific means.  A true pure Carniolan species does not breed with an Italian to my knowledge.  Maybe M. Bush or others, can shed some light on this breeding.  There are shades of dark Italians that confuse the issue and I am by no means an expert on honey bee species.

I have raised the black bees in the past, the gentle strain, I am talking about.  Most impressive comb builders I have ever laid my eyes on.  Just beautiful, white comb for honey and prolific builders of comb.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »
>(all black body), but more importantly the hairs are thinning or missing from abdomens.  Indicating to me that tHose are
  likely old bees or sick bees, or both.Where are these, location geographically?

If you look closely you will see plenty of hair on the thorax area, unlike the sickly bees that you described on the topic
  "What's this" (which had pictures)the November 01, 2018 topic that you and Van had the deep discussion. These bees,
  (unlike the "sick" bee that you described; or mutant, healthy hairless, glossy that Van described),  have plenty hair on the
  thorax. These bees look like the ones that I described in my post. The bees that I described were definitely not sick. And
  certainly did not act to be old! lol

Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:05:38 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 12:07:04 pm »
Thank you Mr Van, I think you nailed it once again.

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 02:45:33 pm »
Nock. I saw these bees earlier in the week. I thought it was a honey bee, then not. They were working the flowers, and ignored me, but seemed to make me think of solitary bees for some reason. Their bodies were a little different. Perhaps more hairless or leaner. But then they did seem like honey bees. I forgot about posting this pic until now.
Bob, you may find this article interesting. 
https://www.honeybeesuite.com/identify-a-honey-bee/
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 08:18:10 pm »
Member, in my opinion you have posted an excellent article and I wish to thank you. Very good job! You are a great asset to beemaster as far as I am concerned. Members such as yourself, Van, HP, and others who are not shy, when it comes to spending time on research, adding quality posting on a topic. I am in no wise singling you three out as there are many others which do the same, boosting beemaster stronger and stronger with accurate information that we as a group can depend on. Yes there are times that each of us may have a different opinion on a subject, we may even disagree from time to time, but as least we come together as a group, (a family), and usually come to some sort of accurate conclusion.

Phillip Hall 

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 10:55:54 am »
Agree - great find Member

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 12:28:54 pm »
Thanks Phillip and Aurelia.  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Bee ID
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 03:25:34 pm »
For sure, a great bee type ID reference article. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything