Welcome, Guest

Poll

If you can attend a Rally - what type of camping would you use?

I will be back packing or tent camping
3 (60%)
I will be using a pop-up, travel trailer or hybrid
0 (0%)
I will be using a 5th wheel, Class B (van), Class C (cab-over truck), Class A (bus)
2 (40%)
I will need local hotel/motel information very near the campground.
0 (0%)
I may need to find a BUDDY from the Forum who lives near me and has a spare couch
0 (0%)
Sorry, but I'm too far away - maybe a REGIONAL RALLY is needed
0 (0%)
Sorry, but I'm not into social get-togethers
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: RALLY TIME... Let's Talk REAL RALLY  (Read 4084 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
RALLY TIME... Let's Talk REAL RALLY
« on: May 22, 2005, 12:29:05 pm »
I've been thinking this over and reading the replies we have had to the GENERAL CHATTER about a RV/CAMPING RALLY for the Beemaster Forum Members....

I want to take a poll and get some real replies (all in one post) that would give us ALL a better idea of we could actually have a RV/CAMPING RALLY THIS YEAR in the LATER SUMMER or FALL :) Even planning a trip for NEXT Spring isn't too far away!

First, some basic ideas that we need to cover - stuff crutial to the logistics of the event.

Many RVing Parks have NO TENT CAMPING at all - transversly many Campgrounds have both, but limited RV size - in which case my monster 37 footer wouldn't make it past the front gate - ugh.

Additionally, some places do not allow GROUP REGISTRATIONS which can be a nightmare when trying to get everyone coordinated into a set weekend. All these are paramount in the registration phase of the event.

So, we need to shop around and find a place that allows ALL TYPES OF CAMPING and allows group reservations ( and more importantly ) is FAIR in its location relative to the travel distance of all the members attending.

In a perfect world, we find a place where 1) all types of campers and people needing to stay at local hotel/motel in lieu of camping AND no one travels any further than anyone else.

I really don't think this world exists, so we all may need to bend a bit in the planning - but that leaves us with the most important remaining obstical - the date and duration of the event. The actual activities that can be planned (whether those at the camp facility or events planned by the Bee Forum Members) will be interesting and should include games for the younger attenders and educational fun (GPS GAMES, contests, card games, etc) for th older members to occupy their time too.

I'll leave the rest of this post blank except to say that MANY OF YOU LIKE THE IDEA OF A RALLY - I surely do and I think it is VERY feasable to accomplish. In the same respect, if we decide it CAN be done, I want to have a Rally Coordination group in charge of the logistical stuff - for example 1 person to speak as spokes-person for the group to the Campground, having a Point of Contact on BOTH ends of the reservation process is very valuable and reduces confusion.

We need to talk about WHEN, WHERE and HOW LONG. We also need to form ideas on what activities, local area attrations and any concerns related to travel distance each of us many have.

So, I'll leave this empty from here on but I'll finish with a short poll: please try to answer these questions WHICH I think may help us gather an idea of what accomidations we may need.

Please: only respond if you THINK you may be able to attend a Rally in some fashion - whether it is with a camper, tent, backpacking, staying at a local motel and coming each day as a visitor (note: all camp grounds have a visitor policy, many charge $5 or so daily per visitor and require you leave by 10pm.

QUESTIONS: please reply Starting with the QUESTION NUMBER:

1) Late Summer or Fall 2005 is possible.

2) This would be better in the Spring or Summer 2006.

3) The method of Camping I have is Tent, RV, need Local Hotel, Other (please explain why). AND HOW MUCH A NIGHT DO YOU LIMIT YOURSELF FOR CAMPING FEES???

Cost is important and will vary greatly according to your personal requirements: Beemaster and Ladybee have a 37ft bus style RV www.beemaster.com/bus.html with required 50amp 240volt service and full hookups - this is generally the MOST EXPENSIVE camp site at RV PARKS which will run typically $35 to $70 a night. So we assume it will be in those price ranges for us - if you tent or have a smaller travel trailer, etc - your own nightly fee would be MUCH lower.

4) I am willing to travel the following miles: 1-200, 200-400, 400 or more.

5) The following States are (good or not good) NY, PA, NJ, MD, DE (these are the central Eastern States in the US Coastal Area - explain any problems with any of those states.

6) I would be willing to attend with 1-5 other members, 5-10 members, 10-20 members, only more than 20 other members.

7) I think the Rally should be 1-3 days long, 3-4 days long 5 or more days long - and why?

8) Please include OTHER questions or suggestions you have for this rally. That includes issues from meetings concerning beekeeping matters to a full-featured child playground or water tubing rides.

Remember - this is a chane to get to know each other BEYOND the world of BEEKEEPING. I'm sure we will all talk generously about our beeyards, but I hope that it is a fun and relaxing time where we all get to know each other much better BEYOND the typing and photos we post in the forums.

Thanks everyone. Even if you do not think you could attend because of scheduling or distance issues, if you have any ideas which could make this more entertaining to those who could attend, please feel free to reply.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 04:08:44 pm »
Just something to think about if you want to take a real trip, that's real long trip for some of you.

Surely you know where Big Bend National Park is don't you? These pictures are north of there about 25 miles. Or find Alpine Texas. Take highway 118 south about sixty miles and that is where I have 20 acres of desert land.

I took some pictures from this little hill,

This one shows where my twenty acres are. From top to bottom of picture go half way down, then to the left just under that flat top peak in the distance. You see where a bare spot meets some vegitation, that is about where it is.

Here is a shot to the east early in the morning

Here is the same mountain in the day light

The same mountain taken from the little hill

Anyway, the nearest accomodations, like motel is about 15 miles away.

There is no running water, no power, no gas, No nothing. But if  you like this sort of place and would like to spend some time there we can make arrangements.

And no you are not limited to just my twenty acres. You can roam around freely.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:58:28 am »
1) Late Summer or Fall 2005 is possible.
3) The method of Camping I have is Tent, or need Local Hotel
4) I am willing to travel the following miles: 1-200, 200-400
But the more the merrier
7) I think the Rally should be 1-3 days long, 3-4 days long I think that that is what most people can fit into their schedules, when you caonsider up to a day or travel each way

There are a lot of campgorunds and rv parks on the eastern shore of VA and it is very beautiful there. Not that it make it closer to me I would still be driving from 150 - 200 miles
We could try to find somewhere where there is A rv spot and campground near each other.  
Blue ridge Natl park is also spectacular, it is where they filmed the hunting scenes in The Deer Hunter (1978) But that would prob push it back to spring 2006 cause of getting a spot there must be done well in advance
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"