Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gone Mad!!  (Read 3254 times)

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
Gone Mad!!
« on: May 26, 2007, 12:14:19 am »
Ok, well we have gone mad this year with planting. So far, we have planted Sourwood (doing excellent), Black Locust, Eastern Redbuds, American Cranberry, Hazelnut, American Plum, Arrowwood & Red Osier Dogwood. I got the last 5 as a package from Cascade Forestry. They all arrived well packed and within a week I already have new growth.  From the same company I got a package of 25 Bassword trees which are already budding .. although I have yet to plant them in their permanent location.

I also picked up 3 bundles of 12 stems (1 black) of bleep Willow from the local food market for only $9. I put them all in a bucket of water for 2 months and now they have new growth and roots. I have planted 10 so far and looks like they will all make it.

I also got lots of seeds which I am going to try my hand at growing.. Sourwood, Black Locust, Pink flowering Dogwood, Eastern Redbuds and Evodia Danielii.

In the smaller group.. I have got some Milk Thistle and Pink Pampas Grass to go with our White Pampas Grass. And in the wild class, I have Lemon Balm, Aster, Sweet William, Snow in Summer, Dames Rocket, Bird's Eye, Showy Evening Primrose, Maiden Pinks, Creeping Thyme, Flax Scarlet, Flax Blue & Irish Moss.

In the other fruit section, we already have Peach. We just planted Hardy Kiwi and in a few weeks picking up 2 Che fruit trees. Just need to round that group off with some Apples and Cherries for this year.

It's good to have a large yard.. :)

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
Re: Gone Mad!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:22:37 am »
You are a madman!  I thought we were bad with all the planting we've been doing, though we haven't been planting trees yet.  My lovley wife Jane counted up to over 200 new plants when she just got tired of counting.  And we're not done yet, still have to do the blueberries and the figs.  It's amazing what you can squeeze onto just over two acres.

Hey, have you ever been up to Edible Landscapes in Afton?  It's trip well worth taking, just don't bring a credit card or you'll be paying off the bill for months.

Glad to hear you're having fun!

Mark

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:30:54 am »
Hey Mark..  we are regulars at Edible Landscapes as it is not far from my parents in law. That is where we got the hardy kiwi and where we are picking up the Che tree.. have you tried the Che fruit? It is like a huge raspberry.  They have open days when you can go around and eat the fruit direct from the trees.  Wonderful. 

We have lots of Red Maple and Tulip Poplar and I want to learn how to find and cultivate the seeds.  As to the other seeds I got, I have planted 100 sourwoods and interested in how many come up..  This is all semi related to the bees, as it was my research into nectar sources that got me started. I am wondering how long it takes to raise seeds like sourwood, black locust, poplar, redbuds etc and get them to a 18"+ height to sell.

One thing though, planting an 18-24" tree with 12" of roots is freaking hard work in the sun..

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:12:18 pm »
I'll have to sample the che fruit next time we're up there.

I think planting much of anything is hard work in these temperatures.  It's only May for crying out loud.  What's it going to be like in July?!?!

We also just discovered Milmont Nurseries over in Stuart's Draft.  It's run my Mennonites, and the prices are incredibly good.  Not quite the selection of fruit the Edible's has, but still, quite worth the trip. 

Mark

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:42:16 am »
AllanJ.  Yep, you have officially gone off your tree (LOL).  Sounds like you are going to have some very beautiful property coming on.  Good for you.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service