Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Epi Pens  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
Epi Pens
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:39:41 am »
If someone was visiting me and they got stung and had an aniphilatic shock, it would be 45 minutes (at best) to get them to a proper emergency room to be treated.

I am planning to get 1 and maybe 2 Epi Pens to have on hand.

They are expensive and I haven't researched their shelf life yet.

Have any of you ever had an emergency after someone gets stung.

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Epi Pens
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:46:09 am »
I had an incident last year at my farm. My wife was having a party for her class and when one little boy stepped out of his car he was bit with fire ants. His mom, a nurse, brought him straight into the house for help. The boy was having trouble breathing as well as was already swelling up. I do not have children's epipens. I gave his mom baby Benadryl for her to give him and I called 911. I stressed how serious it was. After 10 minutes and 15 minutes I was back on the phone trying to get someone to the house. It took over 20 minutes for the fire chief who I knew and a tech to arrive. I complained because there is a fire house one mile from my farm. Turns out it is not always manned and the fire department was playing a baseball game in town.
It was pretty scary.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 05:50:56 am »
Thanks Jim,

That is what I want to avoid.

Bruce
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:36:43 am »
You are thinking right, I have several relatives that are in the medical field from Dr. on down.  They advised me to carry an epipen with me when I work bees.  I have a colony to remove from a school ground this week.  Kids are gone but lots of workers are around.  In all things of an emergency nature, remember, "  When seconds count, 911 help is only minutes away, at best".

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 03:10:06 pm »
epi-pens and their less expensive, newly approved competitor (yea!) are not OTC in the US or most countries. 
Be certain you are in complete compliance with Thai law.  It may be illegal to administer the drug to another person.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:19:49 pm »

During a routine check up with my GP this week after a request for a script for an Epi-Pen I was given a quite comprehensive lecture on the possible downsides of using the same.              Apparently there can be serious side effects if the patient is on some medications which can conflict with the adrenaline. The suggestions to me were if a visitor is already known to be suspect an antihistamine tablet before visiting would be advisable.
I have always had an Epi-Pen on hand but had no need to use one to this time so I will now be following up with more research and questions.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 01:36:37 am »
Thanks.
That is excellent info I did not consider.

Just a few days ago, I learned the government hospital 10 mins away can handle a reaction and Cobra bites.
That's good to know. I was raised in a safety awareness culture and when we set up in a new country, one of the first things we do is locate and evaluate emergency services.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 12:51:36 pm »
I had an incident last year at my farm. My wife was having a party for her class and when one little boy stepped out of his car he was bit with fire ants. His mom, a nurse, brought him straight into the house for help. The boy was having trouble breathing as well as was already swelling up. I do not have children's epipens. I gave his mom baby Benadryl for her to give him and I called 911. I stressed how serious it was. After 10 minutes and 15 minutes I was back on the phone trying to get someone to the house. It took over 20 minutes for the fire chief who I knew and a tech to arrive. I complained because there is a fire house one mile from my farm. Turns out it is not always manned and the fire department was playing a baseball game in town.
It was pretty scary.
Jim

How far is the hospital from your place?

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 12:52:36 pm »

During a routine check up with my GP this week after a request for a script for an Epi-Pen I was given a quite comprehensive lecture on the possible downsides of using the same.              Apparently there can be serious side effects if the patient is on some medications which can conflict with the adrenaline. The suggestions to me were if a visitor is already known to be suspect an antihistamine tablet before visiting would be advisable.
I have always had an Epi-Pen on hand but had no need to use one to this time so I will now be following up with more research and questions.

What drugs?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:41 pm »
It was pretty scary.
Jim

How far is the hospital from your place?
20 minutes.
A couple of months ago I was in Jacksonville and my wife called and said she just been bit by a black snake but thought it was ok. I had her send me a picture of it and I saw 2 fang marks. I told her to call 911 and left immediately. I was 45 minutes away from the hospital and when I got to the hospital, I had to wait for the ambulance to arrive, at least 5 minutes. It turned out to be a dry bite luckily.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 01:40:00 am »

What drugs?
[/quote]

There are lots of possible drug interactions.  Best to either ask your pharmacist, or you can check yourself by going to this website and entering all of the meds you take:  https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

anything