Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen trap hardware cloth question  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Pollen trap hardware cloth question
« on: April 15, 2017, 11:59:59 am »
So I am attempting to build a pollen trap. I am using the plans off of beesource. That's the only good plans I could find. Most of that seems fairly easy. I already have the top, middle, and bottom piece all cut out. I just had a few minutes so none of the small pieces are cut. So my question is about hardware cloth. No issues with the small beeproof stuff or the large stuff on bottom. What is getting me is the 5 to the inch stuff. I have four to the inch stuff but not 5. Seems to me that bees can still get through that stuff snugly. Do I really need to track down this stuff?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Pollen trap hardware cloth question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:31:41 pm »
try it and see. just make it so that if it doe not work yu can cahnge it easly. look for it at mom and pop hardware stores. Most ACES will not have it . if you still can't find it. check with some on the forums to see if they can send you some folded to fit in a letter envolpe

john

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:54:52 pm »
I may do just that. My guess is that the end result is a less efficient pollen trap. As long as I get some I'm not sure I'll stress that much. If it doesn't work then I'll tinker, which I enjoy anyways. So another question on the topic of pollen collecting. My general plan is to freeze and feed in early spring.  Anybody care to share experiences with uses and feeding back?  Should I make it into a patty and feed back as you would a pollen sub?  Just toss it on newspaper and feed as is?  Push into an old brood comb and put in hive?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:42:56 pm »
It never last that long around my house. its additive.
dry it before freezing. gets moldy and putty like when you thaw it.
I guest that after you frezze it you could use it as a additive to patties to refeed it to them.
check with MB and LJ they may know more on it. PM them.

john

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:17:53 am »
>Do I really need to track down this stuff?

Yes.  http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshardwarecloth.htm

Everything in a pollen trap is very specific.  You need the bees to go through #5 to dislodge the pollen.  You need the pollen to fall through #7.  Bees can get through #6 (barely) and pollen won't fall freely through #8.  The bottom of the tray should be screen door screen (pollen won't fall through this at all and it needs to breath).  You need to get the right sizes.  My Ace Hardware can order it if they don't have it and they usually have it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:43:47 pm »

Everything in a pollen trap is very specific.  You need the bees to go through #5 to dislodge the pollen.  You need the pollen to fall through #7.  Bees can get through #6 (barely) and pollen won't fall freely through #8.  The bottom of the tray should be screen door screen (pollen won't fall through this at all and it needs to breath).  You need to get the right sizes.  My Ace Hardware can order it if they don't have it and they usually have it...

I am curious.
What is the benefit of a pollen trap? Is it to catch some from each bee to be used for feeding later.
Does a pollen trap attract SHB and other pests?

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:56:02 pm »
>What is the benefit of a pollen trap? Is it to catch some from each bee to be used for feeding later.

Some people sell the pollen.  I collect it to feed later, yes.

>Does a pollen trap attract SHB and other pests?

I don't have a lot of SHB issues here.  So I don't know if I'm qualified to answer that.  But if you have the screened tray the air dries the pollen pretty quickly, so I don't think so.  Some larger ants sometimes go after the pollen in places in the South.  I've never had an issue.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 11:24:18 pm »
Michael,
Thanks for your prompt answers.

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 07:40:52 pm »

Mr Bush, do you have pollen trap plans?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 10:56:55 pm »
Hello Capt, We have been missing you .  Welcome back.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 11:15:59 pm »
Paus, that reply is In 2017, capt not back,  yep, I wish he was too.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 08:18:02 am »
>Mr Bush, do you have pollen trap plans?

I don't have any pollen trap plans.  Dee & Ed Lusby used to have a simple one they built and put on all their hives.  It was just a window screen bottomed drawer under some #5 hardware cloth with one 3/8" hole above the hardware cloth to let some bees through and the drones out no other entrance so the bottleneck at the 3/8" hole would force some of the workers through the hardware cloth to get in.  Some #7 will help keep the bees out of the pollen.  Ants were her biggest problem...
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 12:09:42 am »
Thanks for your answer.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.