Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Major Robbing Frenzy  (Read 4386 times)

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
Re: Major Robbing Frenzy
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 11:05:28 am »
I re-Queened 3 weeks ago. Now I can't even find her (she was marked and clipped). I didn't see any eggs or larvae  after I introduced her. I am just at a loss. The bees are storing honey.

I just caught 2 swarms in traps  and I was thinking I would put a frame of brood cells from one of them in there to try and help them out, unless you have another suggestion.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »
I re-Queened 3 weeks ago. Now I can't even find her (she was marked and clipped). I didn't see any eggs or larvae  after I introduced her. I am just at a loss. The bees are storing honey.

I just caught 2 swarms in traps  and I was thinking I would put a frame of brood cells from one of them in there to try and help them out, unless you have another suggestion.

I am familiar with marking but not clipping   in all I have read and videos I have seen I have not seen or heard of clipping?
Clipped her wings?
What I did read is........if the Queen is damaged, a damaged wing or leg they would supersede her, but you aren't seeing anything, that is strange.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34:01 pm »
If you damage the queens feet, she cannot measure the size of cells and puts the wrong sex in the cells. If you damage her abdomen, you reduce her egg laying abilities. In both cases they will build superceedure cells and replace her.
Her wings only come into play, if cut properly, when they swarm.
Clipping will not stop swarming. When they try to swarm the queen cannot leave with the swarm so they go back to the hive and then they will swarm with the first queen that hatches.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 09:37:36 pm »
Smart little buggers......they are
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.