BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

Horizontal hives entrances

(1/4) > >>

Bob Wilson:
It is commonly reported that long hives (top bar, Layen's, long langs) do best with an entrance at one of the short ends.
Entrances at both ends or in the middle of the long side are a problem, because the queen tends to create the brood nest at the entrance. I have found this to be true.
By this logic, why don't queens move the brood nest to the top of standard, stacked langstroth supers which often are kept with top entrances?

Michael Bush:
There are several instincts involved here.  One is that the brood nest tends to be by the entrance.  One is that the honey is stored over the brood nest.  Honey stored over the brood nest pushes the brood nest down.

BeeMaster2:
By having the honey above your he brood nest, during the winter, as the last brood of the season hatch out the cluster can slowly move up into the honey that is heated by the cluster below.
Jim Altmiller

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on April 20, 2023, 08:07:10 am ---By having the honey above your he brood nest, during the winter, as the last brood of the season hatch out the cluster can slowly move up into the honey that is heated by the cluster below.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---

Agreed as this is my understanding as well.

Phillip

Acebird:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on April 20, 2023, 08:07:10 am ---By having the honey above your he brood nest, during the winter, as the last brood of the season hatch out the cluster can slowly move up into the honey that is heated by the cluster below.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---
One of the concerns I have with a long hive is how do they move the cluster in the spring if they have gone sideways and survived winter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version