Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Replacing all my tops and bottoms with plastic  (Read 2204 times)

Offline hydrocynus

• New Bee
    • Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida
Replacing all my tops and bottoms with plastic
« on: March 21, 2022, 02:07:35 pm »
Hello all,
I make my teslescopic tops and bottoms from wood and they do not last very long in South Florida. I generally get 3-4 years out of them. I could go with pressure treated like some commercial beeks do, but I would rather not. I have thus started to replace my tops with beesmart plastic covers but for the bottoms, instead of getting the beesmart, I am getting some anel (apparently from Greece, but likely made in China) bottom boards that are all plastic and could be either solid bottoms or screened (which I favored). What I am trying to understand is why they are so expensive in the US whilst they are just under 10 euros in Europe. Luckily, I have family there and I will be traveling this summer and will bring 20 bottoms back to the US. Anyone has experience with them? I wanted to use the Nicot brand (same price), but they do not fit the Langstroth 10 frames that the US are using.
For 10 euros, it is not worth building some, but do you guys in the US know of a an inexpensive material that could be used to build some? I might then go with this option. I have heard of a material used in the concrete industry that comes in 8 by 4 feet sheets and is 3/4" thick? Sorry to use imperial and not metric.
Cheers to all and thanks.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Replacing all my tops and bottoms with plastic
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 10:05:06 am »
I do not use telescopic type tops. I use flat tops made from Legacy LP gorilla glue type flooring material from the Home Depot. I use to use Advantech from Lowes but I prefer Legacy now days. I wish I could tell you it is inexpensive, and it WAS inexpensive the last I bought. I paid 33 dollars per 4 foot by 8 foot sheet. I hear the price has since gone through the roof.
Just curious, How do you bring in that many bottoms by plane being a passenger. Are the luggage allowances by airlines and Customs now that lenient?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline hydrocynus

• New Bee
    • Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 02:14:26 pm »
Interesting. an OSB flooring that is waterproof. Does it really last long? Lowes had one day a sale on their 3.4" 8 by 8 marine plywood (okume) and I have built many medium supers out of that. They are a bit heavier than pine wood but they do not rot and so far, bugs have not eaten them away.
We are three traveling and I have family in France. So, no issues bringing back so many. They are about 1kg each. We are allowed 20kg per passenger.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 02:53:00 pm »
Interesting. an OSB flooring that is waterproof. Does it really last long? Lowes had one day a sale on their 3.4" 8 by 8 marine plywood (okume) and I have built many medium supers out of that. They are a bit heavier than pine wood but they do not rot and so far, bugs have not eaten them away.
We are three traveling and I have family in France. So, no issues bringing back so many. They are about 1kg each. We are allowed 20kg per passenger.

I have never had luck with regular outdoor rated plywood. I have not invested in marine as the price was much more than Legacy LP. We have a couple deep discussion about this. Try and search if you can find it. If not let me know and I will try to find it for you. Very interesting topics..

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 09:12:58 am »
Have not tried them yet but may. Look up "cement boards". I would use 1/2".
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 01:06:02 pm »

Good stuff. Personally I like the L P Legacy even better than Advantech. Use the search engine for "Advantech nucs". Some interesting discussion there about Nucs, Tops, and Bottoms...

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 12:45:19 pm »
I was looking at a product sold at Lowe's. It's a PVC trim board and comes in standard dimensional thickness and lengths. It's expensive for what you get but looks like it will last forever. Not sure if it is cost effective when compared to sheet plywood or other products.
   I need to replace a splash rail on my boat and so far this looks like the best option.