Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lyson manual steam uncapper  (Read 9569 times)

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
Re: Lyson manual steam uncapper
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 08:21:56 am »
Pardon my ignorance but what is a "three inch, backward comb uncapper"?
It doesn't translate to anything known this side of the pond/world

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 08:54:23 am »
With any kind of automation you first must control the product you are trying to process.  By doing so your productivity will increase even with a manual system.  You will find that most commercial beekeepers will use foundation, frame spacing and may even use plastic frames to control consistency.
As a hobbyist you really can't uncap much faster that this:
https://youtu.be/WG9_Zz0Xtho
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 08:57:50 am »
Yes there are several ways of uncapping.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 08:59:04 am »
Maybe something like this that you pull?
https://beeequipments.com/products/heated-uncapping-plane/
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 09:05:45 am »
Maybe something like this that you pull?
https://beeequipments.com/products/heated-uncapping-plane/

Yes that is yet another method. Both are good suggestions Brian. Some might enjoy checking out the topic:  "Hobbyist: For Uncapping: Hot Knife, Cold Knife, Roller, Scraper, or Other?"
Where we discussed both of these methods (which includes the video you just posted). And another video posted by Burley Bee featuring the uncapping plains that your just posted of as well. It was an interesting discussion.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 09:18:12 am »

Nigel that might not the the proper name. If thats the case please pardon me. lol  I will post a picture.. The idea is to drag the piece across the the comb in a pulling motion..

Phillip

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 01:28:54 pm »
Thanks for that Ben, I have seen them, but not very popular in UK. Interesting to know how well they work.
For the bits under the steam knife that are uncapped (or if I can't be bothered to set it up) I use a laser cut uncapping fork to just remove the capping's and add them to the rest of the draining pile. This has thicker tines that lifts the capping up and off. No scratching.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 01:33:16 pm »
Your welcome Les, for good even honey combs, (not previously used for brood), they work great. I will try and find a short video later and post it here.

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 04:55:55 pm »
I have always used a hot knife for uncapping. Started with a steam knife originally and then moved to an electric knife. On combs that have had a lot of brood in them, the knife is a bit slower and puts pressure on your wrist. When you have quite a few combs to uncap that have had brood in them, it does slow things down and long term it may cause problems. A fellow beekeeper that I know can no longer use a knife for extended periods due to wrist damage. As this is the first year where I have used a queen excluder on all hives, there are a lot of frames that have contained brood in the past. Many of these will be cycled out of the system over time which will alleviate the problem to some degree. I always giggle at video clips showing frames being uncapped. They always seem to be fresh, fat, fully capped frames containing very little burr comb or evidence of propolis. Don?t get me wrong, the majority of combs are like that. I would just like a clip showing the old frame that you are uncapping for the last time before it is to be recycled. You all know the ones that I?m talking about. They are the ones where you just take a deep breath and then get on with the job. Nigel, I use the same uncapping fork that you do. They work well and are a step up from the cheaper ones with the rounded tines.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2022, 08:47:25 am »
I would just like a clip showing the old frame that you are uncapping for the last time before it is to be recycled.
I would never use such a frame.  This is how work is created and productivity is stifled.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2022, 11:04:44 pm »
Your welcome Les, for good even honey combs, (not previously used for brood), they work great. I will try and find a short video later and post it here.

Phillip

I am posting this short video for you Les. On 'good', 'clean', 'even', 'fat', 'totally (or almost totally) attached comb on all four sides' , 'never before used as brood comb' it works good. (Perfect combs), in other words.

https://youtu.be/6NKmUJAM4kE

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2022, 12:00:22 am »
Thanks for uncovering the clip Phillip. Seems to work very well in that situation. Could be a good option for someone with a few hives who doesn?t want to spend a lot of money on uncapping equipment. The reality is however, most uncapping equipment would do a good job on that type of frame. I do like how the solid, angled skid plate at the front acts as a depth gauge and follows the shape of the capped comb.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2022, 12:26:45 am »
Les, comb can vary in description as in my last post especially when using foundation-less and the preciseness of the uncapping will rely heavily on the variables of those frames in my one season experience in using this tool. I like it but......

I am hoping your new Lyson will be a breakthrough on the converted brood comb/honey comb... If so your new Lyson might be the trick as far as dollars spent and results hoped for. Comparing to a chain uncapped, which from my understand will do a good job of uncapping described comb....

Any comments on the chain type uncapper?

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2022, 01:08:05 am »
I would be interested to hear a bit more about chain uncappers as well. We can get them out here in Australia but they are so expensive. I am sure that the electric knife is still going to get a lot of use on some of the skinny or brood frames. It will also be used for cleaning up burr comb etc before frames go back to the hive. Like any aspect of beekeeping, a routine and work flow will need to be established to suit the new equipment. Looks like I?ll be back extracting again in a couple of days when we end up with some fine weather. I don?t think the Lyson uncapper will arrive until the job is nearly done which is a bit of a shame.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2022, 08:46:08 am »
The reality is however, most uncapping equipment would do a good job on that type of frame.
What a uncapping fork doesn't do is even the frame out for the next seasons harvest.  It actually makes it worse.  So if you use a fork you always got to use a fork but if you use any kind of knife hot or cold your frames get easier as time goes on.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2022, 10:46:53 am »
What a uncapping fork doesn't do is even the frame out for the next seasons harvest.  It actually makes it worse.  So if you use a fork you always got to use a fork but if you use any kind of knife hot or cold your frames get easier as time goes on.

Don't the bees repair any damage to the comb that had made during the uncapping process no matter the method chosen? Including the simple harmony type uncapper?

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2022, 03:17:05 pm »
An interesting comment Acebird. I?ve never really thought about it. I know that the bees will repair or change damaged or skinny frames from one flow to the next but I assume that your comment relates to stored comb. I?ve never stored comb over the winter so I can?t really comment. Thanks for that information.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2022, 09:13:55 am »
Don't the bees repair any damage to the comb that had made during the uncapping process no matter the method chosen?
If a frame is left with high and low spots it more than likely will result in the frame next to it to have high and low spots.  Slicing the high spots off allows the beekeeper to place frames uniformly and more often then not the bees will draw the low spots out as opposed to drawing the near frame into the low spot.  There is no harm in picking the low spots of a frame with a fork as long as the high spots are sliced even with the top bar.  However you can reach the low spots with the curved tip of the hot knife so you don't have two tools to fumble with.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2022, 09:17:38 am »
I assume that your comment relates to stored comb.
Nothing to do with stored comb.  Every thing to do with suggesting to the bees what you want.  Some might call it training.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2022, 03:28:05 pm »
Fair comment. Setting frames up so that you get the desired result from the bees is what we are all chasing.