Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lyson manual steam uncapper  (Read 9576 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Lyson manual steam uncapper
« on: February 06, 2022, 12:50:41 am »
Hi folks,

Anyone tried one these? Just wondering how they perform.

Cheers

Les

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Lyson manual steam uncapper
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 06:50:18 am »
     This is not the whole machine... You're missing a capping  Tank along with the capping baskets.. To catch the capping.. I have seen one of these in operation at Betterbee bee  Supply Company in New York USA..  In my personal opinion this machine worked well... For its price range..
   Just in case you'd like to see a video of it in operation..

https://youtu.be/Am1xeYZ1aUE

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 07:11:57 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 10:12:20 am »
Yes, they are excellent when set up correctly. The only problem is if your capped honey doesn't extend above the frame sides then it still needs amnually uncapping. But it takes seconds to uncap a frame.
One thing to watch for is if you use too fast the blade looses heat and it tries to crinkle the capping's.
But an absolute godsent when you have stacks of supers ready to extract.
Im then leave the capping to drip for as day or so giving them a good turn over and collect thee capping honey under a sieve build into the collecting tank. Which is heated so you can melt the capping's if you wish.

Here are a couple of before and after pictures of it in use.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 04:18:46 pm »
Thanks for your responses guys. I am looking into the possibility of changing from an electric knife to something a little bit easier. Jim, I use a cappings tank currently. It is about the size that is required for the uncapper. I just need to check how close it is to what is required. Good to know it works well for you Nigel. That?s the information I need. How does it handle a frame that has had brood in it in the past?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 05:57:02 pm »
Yes, they are excellent when set up correctly. The only problem is if your capped honey doesn't extend above the frame sides then it still needs amnually uncapping. But it takes seconds to uncap a frame.

This is why.. You would put 9 frames... In a 10 frame boxes..   I would suggest you read some stuff ...About this.. 9 frames on 10 frame Box..

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 06:22:29 pm »
I?ve always run 9 frames in a 10 frame box to allow the bees to draw out the comb past the frame. 10 frames in a 10 frame box is also a tight fit. It can be quite hard to get frames out once the bees have glued them up with propolis. 8 frame boxes have a little more space between the frames.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 09:35:13 pm »
A year or so ago I ask about another type of uncapper; (simple harmony).  I recall Robo suggesting the Lyson manual steam uncapper which I had never heard of. Actually in my minds eye I pictured a steam heat knife. At the time I had intended to look further into this but got sidetracked and never did. I am glad your brought this topic up Les, this subject has caught my interest especially after viewing the video posted by Jim 134. I am impressed with this uncapper. Adding; I can see the plus of putting 9 frames in a 10 frame super or even 7 in an 8 etc. (Thanks Les). Fatter/thicker Combs should insure a complete uncapping of most frames with this method? Speeding things right along.

Phillip

Also thanks for the clear before and after pictures NigelP. 👍🏻
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 09:54:20 pm »
Yes, it looks quite good. Skinny frames are still an issue. Even when running 9 frames to the super, you will still get a few lazy bees who cap off frames before you would like them to. The hot knife will still be needed to cut off burr comb and propolis but the actual uncapping process looks as though it will be a quick job. I just rang a supplier and they stated that the steamer should run for about 20 minutes or so before the water tank needs filling. My only other issue is that the uncapper will operate at a faster rate than my 12 frame extractor. I can live with that problem. If the uncapper fits on my uncapping tank, I think I?ll order one.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 10:15:34 pm »
Just ordered the unit. Should be here in about a week. I will give a report on the uncapper when I start using it.

Cheers

Les

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 10:30:44 pm »
Just ordered the unit. Should be here in about a week. I will give a report on the uncapper when I start using it.

Cheers

Les

👍🏻
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 04:28:47 am »

This is why.. You would put 9 frames... In a 10 frame boxes..   I would suggest you read some stuff ...About this.. 9 frames on 10 frame Box..

I run 10 frames in a super designed for 11 frames, sometime I use 9.  You still get frames where they haven't drawn beyond the edges of the frame.
I don't think bees read the same books.  :smile:

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 05:20:31 am »

I run 10 frames in a super designed for 11 frames, sometime I use 9.  You still get frames where they haven't drawn beyond the edges of the frame.

I have no idea about beekeeping equipment from the UK...

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 07:17:44 am »
NigelP

I think you are right! They do not seem to always want follow the rules. 😊 Thanks Nigel.

Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 09:03:05 am »
There was a fellow from Australia that use to post a lot. He had bees all his life if I remember correctly. He recommended to me the use of one less frame per design in the honey super as he loved as he put it fat honey combs. I think he said > Fat combs, I (lorve) em<  In a case like this would be a good time to have the extra thickness he was talking about.

I hope you enjoy your uncapper Les. Keep us informed!

Thanks,

Phillip

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 03:33:39 pm »

I have no idea about beekeeping equipment from the UK...
You don't really need to know about the differences in equipment that other countries use Jim. It's the same principal regardless of numbers of frames per box.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 04:15:45 pm »
An interesting point to note is that the internal space in a 10 frame box means that when all 10 frames are fitted, there is very little space between them. The space between frames in an 8 frame box is larger and allows a bit more wriggle room. Is this an issue everywhere or is this just a reality in Australia? Someone got their sums wrong along time ago and we now live with this issue. It is also another reason why running 9 frames in a 10 frame box is a better option.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 10:47:01 pm »
Lesgold
How does it handle a frame that has had brood in it in the past?

I used the backward uncapping fork last season along with the tine scratcher. I had a little trouble getting through older comb that was previously brood comb. I have the same question as well...

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 02:19:52 am »
I should have it in about a week. Will need to check hives again soon to see if there is enough capped honey to start extracting again. Will let you know how it performs on the difficult comb.

Cheers

Les

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2022, 05:00:37 am »
How did you find the backward uncapping fork on skinny frames? I?ve never seen them used before. Will have a look to see if anyone has put some clips up on YouTube.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2022, 07:36:17 am »
Les here is what I found as far as skinny comb was concerned. The few skinny combs were the ones which were at the tail end of the flow. (Left overs if you will), I did not have very many of these.

Honey Pump Beemaster2 and others recommended the three inch, backward comb uncapper, if I remember correctly.

I ordered both sizes just for experimental sake. I found as long as most all comb that was filled during the jest of the flow, (full figured comb), was pretty easy to uncap. (Except previous brood comb which was a pain).

The skinny, uncapped ok up to a certain distance from the edges, depending on just how skinny it was. From there the tine scratcher finished the job. I was pleased with the combination. Still, take into consideration my experiences were limited. Until last season I had used the (scrape it down to foundation method). Primitive yet effective, except once again, x-brood comb.

So in my experience x-brood comb is a hassle as compared to strictly pure honey comb. Therefore my interest in the Lyson Manual tabletop steam uncapper.

Adding: From the recent topic, Single brood box,  X-brood comb was in the back of my mind and main reason for asking HoneyPump, (in my reply 7 there), what was done with the upper brood box when the queen is pushed down, while adding the QE in that recent topic. I am assuming the second, top brood box is left in place for reasons I had stated as assumed on that topic and reply. If the Lyson will slide effortlessly through prior brood comb, that will be grand!

Phillip
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:47:49 am by Ben Framed »

anything