Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic frames VS Wood frames  (Read 19919 times)

Offline twd72

• New Bee
Plastic frames VS Wood frames
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:48 am »
I am looking for advice and opinions.

I am going to be just a hobby Beek(less the 10 total hives over the next few years) and starting out this year.  After reading and pondering over product catalogs what seems like the best investment: Plastic foundation frames or Wood foundation frames.  My first hive most likely will be a long lang style constructed by myself.  I like the top bar idea but don't want to be limited to non-lang style equipment. Top bars seem to be inexpensive to start due to the lack of foundation frames. So if i build a long lang style hive with foundation frames what are your thoughts about the pros and cons of plastic vs wood.

Moots

Re: Plastic frames VS Wood frames
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:57:43 am »
I started as a Beek last January and went with wax foundation in wood frames and wired them.  This year, out of curiosity and not a huge love for wiring frames, I have purchased some pierco plastic foundation to give it a try....I'm going with wood frames there also.

I get the impression from those I've spoken with that currently use plastic foundation that wood seems to be the much more popular choice.  One of the main complaints I've heard about plastic frames is too many nooks and crannies for SHB to hide in....that may not be an issue for your location.

One of the other complaints I hear is people don't like the way they flex and bend.

The other piece of advice I would offer concerning plastic foundation is that you'll get better results if you add more beeswax to the frames....I've been told even if you order them pre-waxed, they just don't have enough.

Good Luck!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:30:52 am »
 :goodpost: :th_thumbsupup:

personally I will stay with wood wax and wire

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:42:52 am »
I am looking for advice and opinions.

I am going to be just a hobby Beek(less the 10 total hives over the next few years) and starting out this year.  After reading and pondering over product catalogs what seems like the best investment: Plastic foundation frames or Wood foundation frames.  My first hive most likely will be a long lang style constructed by myself.  I like the top bar idea but don't want to be limited to non-lang style equipment. Top bars seem to be inexpensive to start due to the lack of foundation frames. So if i build a long lang style hive with foundation frames what are your thoughts about the pros and cons of plastic vs wood.

Then I would use wood the ears on plastic ages faster than wood, and then breaks off.

foundationless also works for me. when there is a problem like insecticides cut it out and destroy it.

or you could soak it in a swimming pool or a big barrel of water

jay

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:15:28 am »
If you buy any number at all, you can buy the plastic frames cheaper than you can put a frame together and with no labor time involved.  Personally, the only broken frames I have ever had to deal with were stepped on by a marauding cow that knocked over a dead out and walked all over the splash.  I like the small cells of Mann Lakes product too. 

My next choice would be wooden frames and a good price can be had at Western Bee.  Their budget frames are very usable.  Maybe 2 0r 3 components out of a hundred frames have to be rejected.  The wax coated plastic foundation is very hard to beat also. 

Enjoy your long hive.  If I could set up a hive in my yard I would like to try that format.  However you keep bees you can have a great experience. 

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:17:13 pm »
I personally like the wooden frames using either wax or plastic (Rite Cell) foundation.
I have had plastic frames actually warp up from the heat.
The plastic frames has a lot of small crevices and notches that small hive beetles can hide in.
Wooden frames will last several years also.
But I'd stay with wooden frames.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 09:32:23 pm »
I would go with the wood frames also.  I started with some established hives that had wood frames and wax foundation.  Until last year all the new frames I put in were foundationless, there were drawn frames to go between them.  Last year I used some rite cell plastic foundation with wax in wood frames.  Some of my bees used them well, and a couple of hives didn't really like them.  They did use them though.  Good luck with what ever you choose. 

Joe

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 01:48:32 pm »
Have lot of both,  wood is much nicer,  sturdier,  repairable,  and less spots for SHB.......  wood all the way.  plastic only if its free.   
Plastic foundation is great,  but not frames.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 02:16:26 pm »
Have lot of both,  wood is much nicer,  sturdier,  repairable,  and less spots for SHB.......  wood all the way.  plastic only if its free.   
Plastic foundation is great,  but not frames.

I'd have to agree. I have both and don't particularly like the plastic frames. If the top bars were the same dimension as the wood and the frames were solid, I'd be more satisfied with them.
My main issues with them is the SHB hiding spots on the frames. I've filled up a lot of them with silicone, but that's a lot of work.
The preassembled wood frames/plastic foundation aren't much more expensive and there's just no trouble with them.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 06:34:17 pm »
I've used the wood with plastic foundation (from Mann Lake and Brushy Mnt.) I like both. I personally have not used all plastic but a fellow beek has and he said there is more differences in sizes from multiple suppliers and if I ever decide to go plastic, I could have his at no cost. (I did not ask him but I took that as a dissatisfaction because he went back to wood.) To each his own.

From what he said, if you go with plastic frames then I suggest sticking with one supplier.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 08:45:30 am »
Wood is good.  Plastic is a poor substitution for wood. 

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:04:53 am »
Wood frames here. I've thrown out all of plastic frames. Junk!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 03:41:38 pm »
I prefer wood and plastic but why dont you buy some of each and decide for yourself.  Say 20 wood frames with wedge top bars, 10 sheets of crimped wire wax, 10 sheets of plastic and 10 all plastic frames.   Then mix them up in the hive.   You will find that the bee's will preferr the wood and wax, then the wood and plastic and lastly the all plastic but none will go to waste.  The bee's will work them all.  I just prefer plastic over the wired wax because its way more durable
Also SHB will not be a issue in SD
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:38:51 pm by danno »

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 05:30:15 pm »
Plastic is fantastic  :-D

Wood burns real good  :chop: :lau:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Thershey

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 12:06:09 pm »
Naked and natural. - Wood frames, no foundation.  They build comb faster than you can imagine and they build the cell size that is natural for them and their health. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 09:58:04 pm »
I like foundationless wood frames the best.  Cell size is the issue for me.  I don't mind plastic frames/foundation if they are the cell size I want.  Natural comb I don't have to worry about cell size so much.  The bees can decide.  The wax is clean.  The bees never hesitate to draw it if there is a flow.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 11:44:15 pm »
Why can't you use a pressure washer on the plastic frames to get the small crevices and areas clean?
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 05:47:10 pm »
you can,  but its a freking mess  water everwhere... need a face shield and rain gear,  and something to hold the frames... and yup i have tried.  Even tried boiling(the warp to fast)   
if your interested there are about 1000 plastic frames here in boxes with pieces of old comb...  come get them there free....

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 06:04:11 pm »
Let them soak in dish washing water for 48-72hrs, or buy a secondhand dishwasher and wash them with or dish washing granules .

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 09:03:47 am »
when someone tells you dont put plastic in your solar wax melter you should believe them.  glad my melter only held 1/2 doz