Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laser projects  (Read 714 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Laser projects
« on: May 07, 2024, 06:49:17 pm »
Just received my new Falcon 2 laser engraver/cutter. It is a 22 watt laser.
On Friday we have a retirement party to go to for my wife?s old boss. I just finished a plaque for him.
Jim Altmiller
Here it is.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Laser projects
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 07:33:34 pm »
You're not wasting any time there. Looks nice.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 02:02:49 am »
Well done Jim. You are up and racing.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 02:04:42 am »
I'm impressed Jim!!!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 08:52:20 am »
Thanks all.
Right now I?m working on a retirement plaque for Judy I have it designed in Lightburn. Just waiting for Judy to bee out of the house long enough to engrave it.
She spent 22 years a the Director of Religious Education at our old church and never received anything for it. Not even a thank you from the priest.
I have been wanting to do this for a long time.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 08:03:17 am »
I did some engraving yesterday. Mostly working on getting a bee print that Les?s daughter designed to engrave on canning jar lids.

Then I used the same design to create t and engrave birch plywood. They came out pretty good.

Les, let me know if you want to use the files/settings. I?ll send them to you.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 08:17:41 am »
A good friend from my AT&T days is building an airplane. He has been working on it for about 10 years. It is now just about finished but t before he can get it certified he hast to have labels on every switch, gage and indicator. We decided on brass plates with a shiny black coating. I thought the engraver would expose the brass when engraved. As you can see in the photo it did not. I sanded one of the plates and as you can see, they are not really brass they are aluminum. I did a test run and they came out pretty good.  We are sending the black brass plates back to Amazon and ordered silver plates. Most of the labels will be pretty small so I will be printing three or four labels per plate.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 08:37:40 am »
I like what you and Les are doing with your lasers. It appears the possibilities are far and wide!  I hope this topic will continue to proceed and expand with interest.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2024, 08:54:41 am »
The brass lid worked well Jim. It looks as though the finish applied to the lid is different to what I have on mine. You a creating some good stuff. Well done.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2024, 12:06:09 pm »
A sign you're getting old, I guess ... finding things funny that seem normal to others ... I've been noticing many "new ones" over the years.

Just curious, but who else chuckled a little ...

When they saw "Laser Projects" under the category of "Farming and Country Life"?
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2024, 07:12:42 pm »
A sign you're getting old, I guess ... finding things funny that seem normal to others ... I've been noticing many "new ones" over the years.

Just curious, but who else chuckled a little ...

When they saw "Laser Projects" under the category of "Farming and Country Life"?
Ha!  That is kind of funny.  :cheesy:  It didn't strike me until you mentioned it though.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 05:05:31 am »
Just another piece of machinery that every farmer should have.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 05:47:31 am »

Hi Les,
From your shared post and projects in the Today I Made topic, you have certainly proven their worth in your bee farming operations! I really like the engraved honey jar lids you did! Keep up the good work!

Phillip

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2024, 10:56:40 am »
Considering the advance in technology that has made cnc laser engraving possible on a small scale, your casual statement is a cool as the projects you guys are making.
I still have trouble seeing the tool as "worth it" from the standpoint of a strict cost/benefit analysis with maximizing profit the goal. However, that is irrelevant compared to the idea of getting a super-cool toy, being able to call it a business expense and write it off on taxes (not to mention justifying the purchase to the wife). I did the same thing many years ago with a cad printer in my business years ago. Now you guys have convinced me I "need" a laser engraver for my business. :cheesy:
The man that dies with the most toys wins, after all :cool:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2024, 06:33:05 pm »
Animal,
Farming and  Country was the closest thing on our list to use. Do you have a better choice. I?ll move it. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2024, 12:43:46 am »
Now you guys have convinced me I "need" a laser engraver for my business. :cheesy:
The man that dies with the most toys wins, after all :cool:

I had a feeling you were onboard front the start, (or soon would be).  :wink:
Animal? Perhaps?  In the form of  the sly fox?   :cheesy: :wink:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2024, 07:58:53 am »
Animal if you want to get the Falcon 2 22 watt laser, right now it is on sale for $519 Directly from Creality. Normally around $900. It comes on Amazon for approximately $850. If you order it you will also need the honey comb base that goes under the laser and a ducted cover to exhaust the fumes out a window.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2024, 11:10:27 am »
Thanks for the tip. I wish I could, but I have one more year of being broke to go... The youngest just finished up her classes, but is required to do a year of internship at a hospital before she'll be making her own money ...

unless I can figure out a way that a laser engraver could help her in her internship ... hmmm   :cheesy:

been putting off having a dro and steppers put on my milling machine for years now too.  :sad:

for now, I have to be content seeing yours and Lesgold's projects, and stacking the ideas for later.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2024, 08:18:02 am »
Here is the plaque that made for Judy.
Ben Franklin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2024, 08:37:58 am »
That sure look good, Jim. Congratulations.

anything