Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sevin Dust  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Mason

• House Bee
Sevin Dust
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:28:26 pm »
My neighbor dusted his garden with sevin dust.  I have dead bees all out in front of the hive.  Did this kill my bees and is there anything I can do at this point?
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Sevin Dust
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:33:27 pm »
Sevin dust will kill the bees.  I am not sure this is what killed your bees though.  If the plants he dusted were all blooming and the bees were visiting them, then yes that would do it.  If he did it at night or the plants are not blooming then I would doubt his guilt.  I don't believe the bees are actually attracted to the dust itself.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 03:06:16 am »
Sevin is deadly to bees.

Better to use liquid late in evening than the dust!!!
John 3:16

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 05:08:28 am »
Dusts are bad news to bees as dusts can be picked up and brought back into the hive. Sevin dust kills by ingestion, so bees would have to eat it some kind of way, to be affected.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:09:37 pm »
...glad this thread came up,  my neighbor told me he plans to use it next year, I'll have to let him know - before the blossoms are on and after they're gone if he doesn't mind.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:35:04 pm »
I used sevin dust on my potatoes this year. The beetles were striping the leaves. I applied the dust sparingly to the leaves at sunset. I got up early the next morning and washed it off. All the beetles were on the ground dead. I have a hive 30 feet from my potatoes and saw no ill effects on them. I must admit that my butt was clenched tight until the process was over.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:04:30 pm »
I use liquid on my garden and waited till late in the eveing to apply.
Bobby

anything