Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey going overseas question  (Read 3849 times)

Offline scott

• New Bee
honey going overseas question
« on: October 01, 2007, 03:56:55 pm »
Hello,

Not sure if this question belongs here so i apologize in advance if it doesnt.  A friend of mine whom bought honey from me this year would like to send some to a friend of his who is in the military stationed in Italy.  Does anyone know if honey can be sent overseas?  It is a gift, not for sale.

Thanks
Scott

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: honey going overseas question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:41:11 pm »
yes.  that is the short answer.  when you ship to military members you are using an APO/FPO address and it is considered by our mail service as a US address.  HOWEVER....you will have to fill out a customs form. 

some tips on shipping stuff to the military:  1.  what you ship will be exposed to heat.  2.  it will probably not be shipped in a pressurized cabin if it is flown.  3.  it might be opened and checked  4.  it will not be handled gently.

when i ship stuff to military addresses, i seal it in a couple of heavy duty ziploc bags, then i pad it top, bottom, and sides with newspaper.  anything that might spill i wrap up well with duct tape.  i label the outside with the contents in several places.  this might keep them from digging all the way through your wrapping if they can see what it is and it looks like it matches your description. 

i also put a "hi honey"  note in with a description of what i have sent and a little info.  something like 'hey buddy, thought i'd send you some honey from our hive'......

the military is not intentionally obstructionist with the mail, but because of increased security concerns they do check more than they used to.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:35:06 pm »
I will second that.  I just sent a bunch of Honey to some Marines in Iraq.........
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline scott

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:20:29 am »
Thanksyou

I will let him know it is ok, I am sure his friend will love it.

Scott