Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: crijptex new in NY  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Crijptex

• Brood
crijptex new in NY
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:08:23 am »
I just got myself a new hive 10 frame and want to get it ready for new bee's in the spring but have it setup now with some lure in it hoping for a wandering swarm.
Hoping to find someone in the area of Oneonta or Peekskill that is willing to show me things

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: crijptex new in NY
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:24:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum. I suggest you look for a local beekeepers club near you and take classes if they have one. They might also have a mentoring program where an experienced beek will help you on the spot. Also if you change your profile we can better answer questions knowing where you are.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: crijptex new in NY
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:29:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum. I looked up Oneonta and it looks like you are in NY state. It is probably too late to catch a swarm due to the weather. If you do by chance catch one, it will need a good flow to be able to build up properly for the winter.
Do not feel bad it it does not make it through the winter that far north.

A swarm in May is worth a load of hay; a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon; but a swarm in July is not worth a fly, a proverbial bee-keepers' saying, mid 17th century; meaning that the later in the year it is, the less time there will be for bees to collect pollen from flowers in blossom.

For any new bees in the south, this really does not apply.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin