Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Little brood and a lot of soon to be honey  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
Little brood and a lot of soon to be honey
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:51 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am having a slight problem I checked my 2 hives today and noticed that the brood is not up to where I think it should be but this is my first spring.  For some reason the girls is putting honey under the brood and I noticed that the brood is awful high on the frames.  The brood looks good but a little spotty.  There is a little eggs in them and larva and capped brood also.  I left the sugar on the hives from winter and one hive has almost eat it all.   

I guess what the questions are, is the queen going to move the brood down and the workers move the honey up on later in the year or is there a problem that I need to fix.   

Is the brood normal for this time of year up here in Southwest Virginia.

With the sugar do I need to take it off or leave it.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
Re: Little brood and a lot of soon to be honey
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:10:18 pm »
What is the arrangment of the hives now ? Two deeps , one deep one medium ? Two mediums ? If they still need to be fed you would fair better to take the sugar off and put in some one to one syrup. Make sure they are not back filling the brood area to the point they are nunning out of space to raise brood or they will swarm.

Offline Bee Whisper82

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:44 am »
My setup is just 1 deep.   I currently have 1 shallow super over the sugar that I have on the deep of each.  Is this a problem, do I need to fix this or is this ok.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:40 pm »
Is the deep completely full of comb ? If so I would add a brood box of your choice of brood size box, on top of the bottom box. The flow is on now so the sugar will more than likely not be used much and they would do better with the syrup to promote wax building. If you choose to use another deep, just pull one of the frames with brood and put in the top box with all of the other frames to bait their interest to move up and put a empty frame in it's place. If the bottom box is getting plugged up you can pull two frames from the box and place in the upper. Hope this helps.

anything