Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brown bugs on the bees  (Read 8682 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Brown bugs on the bees
« on: February 26, 2022, 10:40:33 pm »
I recently ran across this post from Schawee back when he was in his 'learning days'. He had posted a new topic then and I thought some of you treatment free beekeepers might find the post, as well as the topic interesting. The topic (SMALL HIVE BEETLES IN HIVE) was posted in the General Beekeeping Section, on: March 11, 2010, 11:45:19 pm ? and the last post of this topic was on March 14 same year.
Here is copy of the first 3 post on particular topic between Schawee and JP.
We all learn as we go, and Schawee went on to learn well! The friendship between these two became legend.

I will credit Schawee and JP along with a couple of others for the reason I am in bees now. It was through their interesting cutout videos that lead me to 'finally' cross the bright into keeping bees and on to Beemaster.

If you are interested in more of this conversation, look up the following using the search engine. "SMALL HIVE BEETLES IN HIVE"

Note: Their has been 'many' small hive beetle topics through the years posted here. If you can not find the topic I will be happy to bump it in the general beekeeping section if requestd.

Phillip

Topic: SMALL HIVE BEETLES IN HIVE by Schawee

Quote from: schawee on March 11, 2010, 11:45:19 pm
CHECKED MY 4 HIVES ON THE FARM TODAY.3 HIVES ARE VERY STRONG WITH ALOT OF BROOD AND EGGS.WILL DO SPLITS ON THEM THIS WEEKEND.MY OTHER HIVE HAS ALOT OF BEES  BUT NOT LIKE THE OTHERS.IT TOO HAD BROOD AND EGGS,BUT I NOTICED LIL BROWN BEETLES ON ALOT OF BEES.SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ,IF SO WHAT SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT IT. 

Quote from: JP on March 12, 2010, 05:49:41 am
If you saw mites, they are reddish brown and would be on your bees. If small hive beetles, they would be amongst the bees but in and on the comb and woodenware.

Every hive and most swarms in southeast Louisiana have shbs in/with them. As long as your hives are strong, they most likely will survive.

If your one weak hive is very weak and contains a lot of beetles, you could try condensing the colony if there is too much space/boxes in that particular set up.

...JP

Quote from: schawee on March 12, 2010, 09:11:50 pm
JP,THEY ARE REDDISH BROWN AND THEY ARE ON THE BEES.I WATCHED THE BEES TAKE THEIR LEG AND WIPE THEM RIGHT OFF.THE HIVE IS A STRONG HIVE.THEY LOOK REAL HEALTHY.I NEVER SAW THEM BEFORE ON MY BEES.IWAS GOING TO SPLIT THE 4 HIVES THIS WEEKEND,BUT I WILL LEAVE THAT HIVE ALONE.THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR INFO.                                                                                                                                                         
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything