Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winterizing questions/opinions.  (Read 1438 times)

Offline rockink

• House Bee
Winterizing questions/opinions.
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:51:47 am »
As we all know when in comes to beekeeping there are a lot of opinions!

So I'm curious/confused on what people are doing or not doing as far as a quilt board, moisture board, wood shavings etc.

My plan was to put this feeder box (shown below) on and then put a moisture board above that.

Then one of my hives closed the vent holes so I'm at a loss.

I was given a suggestion to just put popsicle sticks under the front corners of the feeder box. But then what would wick the moisture?

FYI im located in central MO and temps in 30's F this week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Winterizing questions/opinions.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »
VERY subjective question that any respectable answer is going to be totally dependent on where you are and what your seasonal climate norms are.  So, let's start with that.  Where are you and what does a normal winter look like there?
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:15:57 pm »
Very true....My bees wintered themselves last year when my original mentor passed suddenly in June 2017. Nothing was done to the hives for a year and they were really strong when they were given to me in May 2018.

As I mentioned above I'm in central MO and right now temps are in the 30's. I think we will warm again before winter sets in however I'm asking this question to bee as prepared as I can.

Obviously I'm not going to implement something that works in the deep south where it doesn't get cold but knowing what steps everyone takes would be nice.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:50:03 pm »
rock,
I tip my hives so condensation flows toward the entrance.
My hives are topped with a 3 inch shim, much like your image but no bottom.  On the top of the shim I place 1" blue insulation board.  Inside the shim I feed mountain camp style.  My shim has at least one entrance/vent hole, depending how old it is.
On the outside I wrap the hives in 1" insulation board and duct tape.  My top cover is covered with flashing.  This set up has worked well for me, others may have better ideas.  I cover 40+ hives per year. 
Good luck with your bees.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 03:04:38 pm »
I just add 1-2" thick blue(or pink) foam insulation beween inner and outer cover.  If the hive needs to be fed then I will add a 1" shim for room for sugar bricks(only about a third will need any feed).  I don't worry about condensation in the hive except for the top.  That's the reason for the foam between inner and outer covers.  I don't bother wrapping any of my hives.  Although my triple stacked nucs will be scooted next to each other to conserve heat.  All my hives have bottom entrances only.  I have 60+ this year to over winter.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 03:07:15 am »
Nothing.

Unless you don't have your hives sunken in snow, don't worry to much (then wrap them or change over to poly hives). Bees are Quote good adapted. Only thing to wonder, is that if you run close bottoms, tip the hives a little forward or use angled floors. Else water will collect in the far side of the bottom board.
Else use screened bottom boards.

If you cant sleep still and need to feed, go mountain camp feeding.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:09:59 am »
Thanks everyone!

I know I have read on here before that the bees know what they need.

Another question! Should I or would you add some additional ventilation to the hive the closed their vent holes??

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 11:44:42 am »
No, they know why they closed it up.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 06:10:27 pm »
Here is a photo of mine.  Tar paper, bubble wrap, pallet wrap.  Foam board on top of inner cover with center opening cut to coincide with opening in inner cover).  Kelley's Ventilated super on top of that - with 6 of the 8 holes closed off.  (Cuts down on down drafts but allows warm moist air to escape).

Having taught Earth and environmental science for 30 years, I thought I'd duplicate a "Greenhouse Effect" on the exterior of my hives. Short wave visible light waves pass through the plastic, hit the black tar paper, turn into long wave infrared rays (heat) which get trapped inside the plastic. Temperature goes up. That plastic is warm to the touch on the coldest days. (Think about why a car interior is so much hotter inside on a sunny day.)

I try to work with the natural convection currents inside the hive. As warm moist air rises it will escape through the vents I provide.  Foam board on top of inner cover keeps it warm and prevents condensation on the INSIDE of the inner cover because the warm moist air continues to rise up through the center vent of inner cover and foam board.  When I open the top cover, there is condensation on it, NOT the inner cover.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:43:34 pm by 2Sox »
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism