Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How?s the OA Shoptowel method coming?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
How?s the OA Shoptowel method coming?
« on: September 30, 2018, 05:57:40 pm »
I?ve looked at Randy?s website on this and unless I missed something, I only see updates from last year.

Has anyone used this successfully?  It seems early results were erratic.

Haven?t heard much of it this year.  I?m looking for an easier way to treat.  Once you get above 6-7 hives, it becomes more difficult to OA vapor for 3-4 weeks.
You are what you think.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
Re: How?s the OA Shoptowel method coming?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 02:24:41 am »
I?ve looked at Randy?s website on this and unless I missed something, I only see updates from last year.

Has anyone used this successfully?  It seems early results were erratic.

Haven?t heard much of it this year.  I?m looking for an easier way to treat.  Once you get above 6-7 hives, it becomes more difficult to OA vapor for 3-4 weeks.
that is true... I would say 60-70 hives, though. Take me half a day with my gizmo. The "frying" pans will be a LOT quicker.
OAV is not legal in Germany. It is used in the rest of Europe, though. (its always like that...) Maybe it will someday. Spraying OA was not legal till this year, so...
These top towels are also looked into by the scientist I mentioned. Far from being reliable as yet. But I?ll keep an eye on it anyways.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:42:23 am »
I know a lady who just attended the GA conference. I will ask her if any new information was given. LAst report I got in spring was it has not been as effective as once was hoped for....Olive was at our Summer meeting and he spoke on nutrition on one day but I missed the second day. I don't think he commented on anything you could not find on his site....

Edited--- She said no news was given about the shop towels.
John 3:16

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 10:30:17 am »
Erratic results is the result of his tests, and which is why he's not spending a lot more time and energy on it.  OAV is a lot more reliable in his data.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 09:40:59 pm »
Erratic results is the result of his tests, and which is why he's not spending a lot more time and energy on it.  OAV is a lot more reliable in his data.

Reliable maybe??? His last article was a computer model on OA (not towels), not test. But he does not use OAV... he dribbles...if he has a very high count he uses a synthetic... at least so he said at our summer meeting....
John 3:16

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 03:34:22 am »

Reliable maybe??? His last article was a computer model on OA (not towels), not test. But he does not use OAV... he dribbles...if he has a very high count he uses a synthetic... at least so he said at our summer meeting....

dribbling OA is considered very good with colonies in winter, no brood, below freezing. better than OAV then. ONE treatment only or you might kill them.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 11:15:59 am »
meant to say OAD. 
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

anything