Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When do you expect the goldenrod flow to taper off in your area?  (Read 4746 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
When do you expect the goldenrod flow to taper off in your area?
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:37:35 am »
When do you expect the goldenrod flow to taper off in your area?  Thanks Ben Framed
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: When do you expect the goldenrod flow to taper off in your area?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:03:28 am »
Usually when the first frost hits. Last year where I put my hives, it died much earlier for some reason.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 09:28:14 am »
already over here
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 11:14:33 am »
In North EAST Texas I have an early short, Golden Rod no more than 4 feet tall  that the bees to my knowledge never touch .  The tall golden rod is just now starting to bloom and the bees work this variety.  This GR grows over 8 feet tall and last for several weeks. Some patches of the short GR has turned brown.

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 11:18:43 am »
goldenrod still going good in the piedmont of North Carolina. Yellow Crownbeard is also very strong right now.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 10:21:31 am »
Golden rod is just starting here in south Louisiana. Yesterday was the first blooms. My bees are working the grass for pollen which has low nutrional value. They are eating my home brew pollen substitute with unknown to me value. Hopefully the goldenrod is enough to get hives a little stronger. Plenty of other wild flowers around that the bees ignore.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 08:43:08 pm »
Golden rod is just starting here in south Louisiana. Yesterday was the first blooms. My bees are working the grass for pollen which has low nutrional value. They are eating my home brew pollen substitute with unknown to me value. Hopefully the goldenrod is enough to get hives a little stronger. Plenty of other wild flowers around that the bees ignore.

Good for you ed/la.  It looks like you have several weeks to enjoy hopefully and baring an early frost. Do you usually get many frost in your part of Louisiana?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 08:45:23 pm »
Mine just about to bloom maybe in another week or 2.  Every year my bees pay them a visit.  This year with irrigation they are
exceptionally tall about 9' high.   Yes, the short ones that bloomed in July they never touch.  I like the
tall showy GR better. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 08:57:02 pm »
Mine just about to bloom maybe in another week or 2.  Every year my bees pay them a visit.  This year with irrigation they are
exceptionally tall about 9' high.   Yes, the short ones that bloomed in July they never touch.  I like the
tall showy GR better.

beepro, do you normally have frost in your part of California?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:19:41 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Cuttingedge

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 06:23:53 pm »
Ours will most likely come to an abrupt end sometime over the next few days. We are supposed to get frost for the next three nights!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 07:47:32 pm »
Ours will most likely come to an abrupt end sometime over the next few days. We are supposed to get frost for the next three nights!

FROST  :shocked:  7p here and 86 degrees...
John 3:16

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 05:53:05 pm »
Yes we do, Mr. Ben.   Zone 9A most of the year.  Believe it or not we do have the usual yearly arctic
chills from the north around late Dec to early Feb.  Temp. can dip down to
the 20s.  From Dec to Jan is the coldest time of the year.   Frost will be here around that time where nothing is blooming.  In late Nov. is when the GR taper off. The rains will wet them down too around that time.   In mid to late Oct. is when the mini-Loquat flows is on when the GRs are still blooming. 

If I want a significant GR flow in our mini-Autumn flow then I have to plant the little suckers in early Spring along the creek banks.  There is a creek with
water running all year long only 5 minutes bee flying time from the main apiary.   At the moment I'm not sure if I should plant any because GR is not
native here.   Afraid that they will take over the creek banks that nobody use anyway.   Still a concern of invasive specie for me.   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:44:24 pm by beepro »

Offline Tam Tam

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 11:19:59 am »
In North EAST Texas I have an early short, Golden Rod no more than 4 feet tall  that the bees to my knowledge never touch .  The tall golden rod is just now starting to bloom and the bees work this variety.  This GR grows over 8 feet tall and last for several weeks. Some patches of the short GR has turned brown.

I'm so glad you posted this. I am in SE GA and have goldenrod but it's the shorter variety and my bees don't touch it. I was wondering why. I'll have to pay attention and see if they work the taller variety.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 09:20:52 am »
It is really just getting started around here. I have not paid enough attention to know when it dies down but it appears this year to be coming in stages. First we have the full sun golden rod blooming followed by the golden rod in the shade. Nice space out of the bloom.

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:44 am »
It is going strong here. We are getting plenty of rain. I mowed yesterday, you can smell the golden rod curing 20 feet from the hives. You never know when the first frost will be.

Offline JVarner

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 07:43:49 am »
Plenty of GR still blooming in central PA.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:00 pm »
Mine just blooming profusely today. Been blooming for 3 days now.  Got some bee vids and plenty of
GR pics.  Everyday more of my bees are discovering the blooms just 15 feed from their hives.   The mini-
Autumn flow is starting now.   Plenty of bees enjoying the sweet nectar.

Enjoy the GRs: 

https://tinyurl.com/yaxkyooc

https://tinyurl.com/ybtnjotk

https://tinyurl.com/y9uyfyob

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 02:26:09 pm »
That is really thick GR. 😁
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 03:02:37 pm »
Bepro that is different goldenrod then what is currently blooming here. The bees are ignoring it. Perhaps the late blooming GR will be better.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 03:23:59 pm »
Look at my post 4 on this thread. You are about 3 weeks behind me on fall blooms and 3 weeks ahead of me in the spring.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 03:01:31 am »
How could this be, Paus?     I can understand that we have an early Spring bloom and the hives build up early than yours.  But
having a late Autumn flow behind you is just impossible.   Seems going backward to me.

Ed, if the GRs are not the right specie then the bees will not touch them.  There are about 12 species of them I believe.  The tall
showy GR which I have is the one they like best.   The flowers smell like the blooming lotus.  A fresh faint scent that I like too.  One sniff and
you're hook!    No wonder the bees are attracted to it.   But the short GR does not has this smell.  Maybe that is why no bees work on them.

With irrigation the late blooming GRs will grow taller and put out their showy tassels at the top.  Everyday there are 100s of bees from my hives working on
them.  And I did not water them that much either over this entire hot summer.   Now that I know my bees like them, next season I will plant
more in my yard and even in the front yard under dripper hose irrigation.   They don't require a lot of water only enough to not dry out the roots.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 09:17:03 am »
You sound like my wife, you are supposed to know what I'm thinking.  South Louisiana starts their spring flow about 3 weeks ahead NE Texas  and their fall flow last about 3 weeks longer.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 06:24:24 pm »
Just checked GR, bees are working it big time :grin: :grin:

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 11:05:47 pm »
Goldenrod was about two months late this year.  It will stay until our first good frost...
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:48 pm »
Today, first frost.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 11:49:51 pm »
My bees just started working gr. There is a small purple flower they are working pretty good.  Trying to id it now. I did have a swarm yesterday that I managed to catch. Could not figure out what hive it came from, at first glance all hives looked good,  so it was not abscond but still an issue. One of the hives has an unmated queen .

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 03:04:06 am »
Yep.  First good frost and it is done..
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 10:37:58 pm »
Is that true 1 good frost kills GR. [

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 08:52:43 am »
I expect some frost here Sunday night. Maybe not here at the house, the lake is still warm and keeps it off the yard. I think back away in the fields and ridges will get it. Time to get our bees set for winter.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 11:31:39 am »
The flow is starting to end down here in South Alabama. We have some golden rod left but not like it was two weeks ago.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 11:41:43 am »
We had our first frost last night. I expect that will do it for my area...  was a nice season. First year for me and I learned a lot. With 0 hives in April and cutouts and splits, I have 7 strong hives now.. I thank each of you for your comments, answers to questions,  and helpful information. 
Sincerely, Phillip Hall

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 08:52:07 pm »
Probably this Friday evening, if the temp gets down like the weatherman says.  That would be our first hard frost here.  Had to add another super when everything here exploded in September.  Will have to see if its filled up...

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 01:27:22 pm »
GRs are not like the mustard.  Their blooming time is short.  My showy GRs only bloomed for 2 and a half weeks then they
stop blooming after all the flowers had opened .  Only a small blooming patch is there now and not a significant flow.  My bees move
on to the winter blooming wild mustard now. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 02:03:09 pm »
GRs are not like the mustard.  Their blooming time is short.  My showy GRs only bloomed for 2 and a half weeks then they
stop blooming after all the flowers had opened .  Only a small blooming patch is there now and not a significant flow.  My bees move
on to the winter blooming wild mustard now.

Im sure that you are giving an accurate account and may be minium blooming season in your area. David at barnyard bees, a day or two ago, put up a video titled.
Honey Bee Winter Food Goldenrod & Pollen
He is in North Georgia I am in North Mississippi. I havn't checked the zone difference, but I am thinging we are most likely in the same zone. Our Godenrod started here in September and Its now November. It frosted here where I live Oct 21, I thought that was the end but as I took a closer look, after watching Davids video, we do still have a small amount still active GR here at my location. Nothing like what David showed in his video, but still some here.  Apparently the frost wasn't heavy enough to kill it all.
Thanks for the update Mr. Beepro.
Phillip

PS Im wondering what is going on for folks futher south like ed/La in South Louisiana

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 02:40:45 pm »
I am still waiting on the goldenrod the bees like. The shorter variety bloomed and is over. There is some other wild flowers that the bees are working. I am a little concerned. Winter stores are not great.  Feeding about 25lbs of sugar a day at my home yard. 40 cents a pound before tax. I have honey to spare but the smallest amount gets them worked up and I don't need a robbing issues. They like satsuma oranges that I have a tree full of. Also feeding bananas that they consume in a day or so. I am going to move these hives to better yard once I  get the energy. I am in my mid 60s and work alone. Our coldest night has been in the 50s with most nights in 60s. Took me a few years to realise that there is not enough  nectar to support my bees at home but just miles away there is.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 09:07:42 pm »
Ed with irrigation you can start your own bee habitat at home.  Not that hard to to.  GRs can
take over a small 8x10' plot easily.  Every year they grow back.  You can also put in some
boneset and wingstems too.   Might as well add in some Autumn asters for them too.  Early Spring and
Autumn will be the critical time for their survival.