Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Sydney South West  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Cobby

• New Bee
Hello from Sydney South West
« on: June 02, 2019, 01:50:21 am »
Hi. Im a Newbie to beekeeping. Installed my first hive and bees on 11th Jan 2019. It's been a bit of a slower start than I would have hope for but from what I've been told from other BK's, everyones hives have been slow. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my hives progress. Regular inspections show Queen, eggs, brood, nectar, pollen and lately, alot more honey. Obviously in preparation for the coming winter.
I still only have the one brood box and wont worry about adding a super til the end of winter.
Now for my first question. I have an 8 frame brood box. 7 of the frames are fully or partly full of a combination of brood, pollen and honey. The 8th frame, being the outer frame has not been touched at all in the 5 months. Should I move this frame at all to encourage the bees to use it or should i just leave it alone and let them take their course.
I'm looking forward to learning as much from this group as possible
Thanks All

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello from Sydney South West
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:59:47 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
If your flow has stopped for the year, I would just leave them alone. If you still have a good flow on then I would move it to the frame right next to the brood and they will draw it out.
You didn?t mention what is in that frame, wax foundation, plastic foundation or foundation less. If it is plastic, I would pull it and either replace it or melt some wax and re-wax it. They may have removed the wax from it and it is nothing but plastic.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:06:05 am »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline Cobby

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:51:06 am »
You didn?t mention what is in that frame, wax foundation, plastic foundation or foundation less. If it is plastic, I would pull it and either replace it or melt some wax and re-wax it. They may have removed the wax from it and it is nothing but plastic.
Jim Altmiller
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. My frames are wax foundation. I'll definately look at moving the frame, maybe even just one position in to see what they do with it
Thanks

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 12:32:07 pm »
Welcome!
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 02:30:23 pm »
Greetings, Cobby.