Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vaporizer for oxalic acid? Also where to purchase?  (Read 8463 times)

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Vaporizer for oxalic acid? Also where to purchase?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 04:42:59 am »
(edit)
But realistically, is anyone really going to adopt such a procedure for EVERY hive, on EVERY occasion ?  I doubt it.

LJ

... it is early days here LJ but just the other day Victoria put in place regulation to demand just that. It's a bit loose in it's virgin form - 2 recorded tests per year, IIRC - but will no doubt grow with hands-on experience.
As to results versus the actuality of infestation?
Would not one think that should the same process be used in similar local (colony) conditions then, over
time, a "near enough" measure of 'success' could be formed as a guide? Given nothing I have read thusfar
is even aimed at total anniliation (sp?) of mites in any colony.
Seems to me that globally the industry has gone with "live with what is managable"... no?

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 07:50:05 am »
A simple observation of dead mites would tell if the fogger method was working.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 07:56:29 am »

Would not one think that should the same process be used in similar local (colony) conditions then, over time, a "near enough" measure of 'success' could be formed as a guide?

I'm not sure I understand you - do you mean success in one hive implies a similar success in others within the same area ?

Well, if so - I can only speak from my own experience, which may not translate across to the experience of others, of course - but in the past I did observe one colony producing deformed wings (assumption then fairly obviously being DWV, thanks to Varroa), whilst many dozens of others close-by appeared healthy.  From that, I assumed either that colony's genetics were particularly suspect to virus infection - or - that this colony alone was overloaded with Varroa mites, whilst the rest were ok.  Had I overlooked that colony's winter dose of VOA ? Maybe - I just don't know.  Several summer doses of VOA spaced a few days apart, and that colony has been chugging away without problems ever since that time.  Intepret that how you will - as there are far too many 'unknowns' there to shake a stick at.

Seems to me that globally the industry has gone with "live with what is managable"... no?

I rather think you'll find that the industry has gone with "whatever is most profitable."  /cynic mode.

Something else you might want to consider - which no-one else appears to be doing: is to adopt some preventative measures, as well as curative ones. 

The principle transmission vectors for the Varroa mite are considered to be 'Robbing' and 'Drifting'.  So - space your hives further apart, and fit anti-robbing screens to ALL hives.  This of course might entail separate screens over multiple entrances in order to cater for traffic flow, which is no doubt substantial in many honey-gathering areas.

In addition - and I know that this will go down like the proverbial lead balloon - stop keeping Italians, which have a well-earned reputation for their propensity to both Rob AND Drift.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 07:59:59 am »

Sure - but not how efficiently compared with other methods.  I.e. how many live mites is it leaving behind ?  This is the problem with ALL treatments for Varroa - figuring out just how effective they are.
LJ

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:18 am »
I heard this analysis that I pretty much adopted; You don't have to look, if you got dogs you got fleas. If you got bees you got mites. I OAV every year about this time without the bother of trying to figure out whether I got them or not. Other areas may be different but not here. The two things that will take out your bees here are mites and starvation.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 11:36:11 am »

Would not one think that should the same process be used in similar local (colony) conditions then, over time, a "near enough" measure of 'success' could be formed as a guide?

I'm not sure I understand you - do you mean success in one hive implies a similar success in others within the same area ?

No, sorry... in hindsight I should have laid out the hypothetical more clearly
as one BK having say 10 colonies at the same location of similar strength
and queenright geneolgy.

I rather think you'll find that the industry has gone with "whatever is most profitable."  /cynic mode.

I'll use all my skeptic(ism] to see your cynic;
/palms cards

Something else you might want to consider - which no-one else appears to be doing: is to adopt some preventative measures, .... (edit)

In addition - and I know that this will go down like the proverbial lead balloon - stop keeping Italians, which have a well-earned reputation for their propensity to both Rob AND Drift.
LJ

Agreed on both.... when it happens here, in Aussie.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 06:26:21 pm »
Thanks Bill,
The links on post #8 are very interesting, I hope some read them as they are the way forward.

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 06:36:21 pm »

Sure - but not how efficiently compared with other methods.  I.e. how many live mites is it leaving behind ?  This is the problem with ALL treatments for Varroa - figuring out just how effective they are.
LJ
I would like to know if they're getting a mite drop and if so, how many. I realize it might not be perfect just wanting to know if they're seeing dead mites with the fogger.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 09:27:48 pm »

LJ
I would like to know if they're getting a mite drop and if so, how many. I realize it might not be perfect just wanting to know if they're seeing dead mites with the fogger.
Having followed more than one discussion intently the answer, in a nutshell, BH, is "nobody knows". It all reads as no <dot.org> is ready to bite the bullet in funding atomising efficency studies.
Not a fan of introducing anything wet - other than water - to a colony I would take my(?) chances in vaping the little critters over dousing the bees in liquid. I include "sugar water" in that family of pet hates ;-)

Cheers.

Bill

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 02:36:04 am »

I've been thinking more on this overnight.  In Britain (dunno about elsewhere) - Foul Brood of either type are dealt with by 'the ultimate solution': colonies are killed and the woodwork burned on site, either by the beekeeper or by 'The Authorities'.  Failure to notify, and/or failure to act are treated as crimes, and punishable by law.  In some cases, antibiotics can be prescribed and adminstered by qualified vets, but independant acquisition and use by a beekeeper is again considered a crime, and punishable under our laws.
(There was a high profile case recently where a guy 'cut corners' by independant acquisition of antibiotics in order to save time, and told the authorities afterwards of the action he'd taken. He was hung out to dry.)

Why such measures ?  Because of the infectious nature of those diseases.  But aren't Varroa and Tracheal Mites in the same league ?  Well, you'd think so - as they also spread like wildfire and can kill colonies.  But these latter two aren't "notifiable conditions" (at least, not over here) - somebody, somewhere, has drawn a legal line distinguishing between these various conditions.  On one side of the line, there's complete and total State intolerance.  But on the other side, "deal with these as best you can".  Seems a bit arbitary to me.

If, in the early days of Varroa introduction, infested colonies had been identified, exclusion zones set up and colonies within them torched - then perhaps the problem could have been stopped at source.  Just as is done with Foot and Mouth Disease, 'Mad-Cow Disease', Swine Fever, Bird 'Flu and others.

I suspect the same 'non-approach' will be taken as and when (not 'if') Small Hive Beetle makes itself known upon these shores.  Could it just be that the Honey-Bee isn't seen as being in the same economic league as other livestock ?
LJ

Offline Groundhawg

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 12:18:22 pm »
I can't get my head around why people are messing around with solvents, when a simple heating device is all that's required to vapourise Oxalic Acid.

Evidence is that VOA (Vapourised Oxalic Acid) presents as being the best tool currently available in the fight against a nasty little parasite, and it would be counter-productive should VOA develop a bad reputation resulting from reckless methods of introduction.
LJ

First thing is that folks want to see if a new, better, faster, way can be found.  If someone had not tried OAV we would not have that tool to use.

It would not be counter-productive is VOA does not develop a "bad reputation".  It might develop into the best treatment we have for killing mites.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:09:35 pm by Groundhawg »
Gracious words are like a honey comb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 04:17:47 pm »
The current methods of vapourising Oxalic Acid are well-proven, and reasonably safe - providing sensible handling precautions are taken - for as soon as it's sublimation temperature is reached, Oxalic Acid immediately exits the apparatus, cools down to form a micro-crystalline dust cloud well away from the heat source.

In contrast, these experimental methods are subjecting Oxalic Acid to temperatures significantly in excess of it's sublimation temperature, in some cases even to that of 'red heat'.

Apart from organic solvents themselves having a flashpoint which renders them unpredictably dangerous when heated - just check out this extract from the Oxalic Acid MSDS Data Sheet from http://www.labchem.com

5.2.  Fire hazard:

DIRECT FIRE HAZARD. Non-flammable.
In finely divided state: increased fire hazard.

INDIRECT FIRE HAZARD. Heating increases the fire hazard.

Reactions involving a fire hazard:
see "Reactivity Hazard".

Explosion hazard: 

DIRECT EXPLOSION HAZARD. Its dust is explosive with air.

INDIRECT EXPLOSION HAZARD.
Dust cloud can be ignited by a spark.  [let alone 'red heat' - LJ]

Reactions with explosion hazards: see "Reactivity Hazard".

Reactivity: 
On heating: release of corrosive gases/vapours (formic acid).
Upon combustion: CO and CO2 are formed.

Reacts violently with (strong) oxidizers: (increased) risk of fire/explosion. Reacts violently with (some) bases: release of heat.
Decomposes on exposure to UV light: release of corrosive gases/vapours (formic acid).

NFPA fire hazard:  1 - Must be preheated before ignition can occur.

So as you can see, subjecting OA to temperatures significantly in excess of it's sublimation temperature - even if one discounts the risk of explosion - results in it's decomposition into formic acid, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide, (depending upon decomposition temperature, and thus in uncertain proportions), and therefore I suggest is NOT such a clever idea to be pursuing.

LJ

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 07:19:23 pm »
Good points LJ. Thanks
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 07:20:33 pm »
I can't get my head around why people are messing around with solvents, when a simple heating device is all that's required to vapourise Oxalic Acid.

Evidence is that VOA (Vapourised Oxalic Acid) presents as being the best tool currently available in the fight against a nasty little parasite, and it would be counter-productive should VOA develop a bad reputation resulting from reckless methods of introduction.
LJ

First thing is that folks want to see in a new, better, faster, way can be found.  If someone had not tried OAV we would not have that tool to use.

It would not be counter-productive is VOA does not develop a "bad reputation".  It might develop into the best treatment we have for killing mites.
Having used a ProVap for the first time today I can't think of anything faster. Don't have to mix up a solution. I had to do a little prep to the hives but it's only a one time deal so it'll just get faster. I blocked off hives, drill holes, treated and waited 10 minutes before unblocking hives. Did 12 in 30 minutes. Cost is certainly less with fogging but as many recall the fat man said it was the best ever with mineral oil and we know how that ended. I will continue to monitor thus thread for fogger mite drop.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 01:56:40 am »
I always hold back on linking another forum but a lot of information on the chemistry of the subject here:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?334020-OAV-with-a-fogger
John 3:16

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 06:28:59 am »
I always hold back on linking another forum but a lot of information on the chemistry of the subject here:

http://www.bees ource.com/forums/showthread.php?334020-OAV-with-a-fogger

Lots of noise in amongest any value in that place, SC-B... as you'd know :-/
But yeah... largely it was what waa posted in one huge thread that persuaded  me to go look
elsewhere for some meat on the topic.

@LJ
Those flashpoint standards (labels) often have me smiling.. like I have pumped menthonol with
an open electric drill pump, welded a 500gallon tank loaded with diesel, and...are you aware anyhydrous
ammonia in the right mix(air) is highly explosive... yet I have had cause to work in that type
of environment. Still here through all that and more, but yeah.. wouldn't recommend it as a pastime ;-)

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Groundhawg

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2017, 11:16:21 am »

Having used a ProVap for the first time today I can't think of anything faster. Don't have to mix up a solution. I had to do a little prep to the hives but it's only a one time deal so it'll just get faster. I blocked off hives, drill holes, treated and waited 10 minutes before unblocking hives. Did 12 in 30 minutes. Cost is certainly less with fogging but as many recall the fat man said it was the best ever with mineral oil and we know how that ended. I will continue to monitor thus thread for fogger mite drop.
[/quote]

Some new information on the ProVap with numbers of mites dropping, on their website.  Did you get a chance to measure number of mites found in some/all of your hives before treating?  Would be great to see your numbers before and since you treated.  Thanks.
Gracious words are like a honey comb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2017, 11:58:28 am »
I did not measure before. Although I know I should do a wash before I typically just treat at the beginning of September and again in February. If I think I'm having a problem in between those times I will do a wash. However I left a few white boards in to see what the drop is. This has worked for me for several years now.

anything