Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rebalancing after a 50/50 Split  (Read 1272 times)

Offline billdean

• House Bee
Rebalancing after a 50/50 Split
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:21:07 pm »
I split a hive a couple of days ago do to finding lots of capped queen cells in it. I split it into 2 nucs each getting 1/2 of the resources. I sat the nucs side by side in the exact same place as the original hive. I have noticed over the last couple days they favor one nuc more than the other by a great deal or they seem to drift to one nuc. I did not find the queen in the original hive and believe they may of swarmed or I rolled her during inspections. Is there a way to to rebalance both nucs so they will stay more of a 50/50 split or is this nothing to worry about? I put the entrance reducers in the bottom board to act as something to make them re-orienate. I do not have the option of moving them farther away.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: Rebalancing after a 50/50 Split
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 10:04:52 pm »
Swap their positions.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »
Ditto on that and move them apart by at least six inches and place a leafy branch in front of entrances to make them due reorientation . do this in morning.

John

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 02:35:39 am »
Certainly swap their positions over.  I'd suggest separating them a little farther apart - to around 12-18" if possible.  If this is out of the question, then rotate one box 180 degrees so that their entrances are oriented in opposite directions, (say) one facing East, the other facing West.

If the foragers always return from the same direction, try to ensure that the entrances are 'square on' to that direction, as some types of bee are prone to drifting, and will enter the first entrance they come to on their return - especially if the hives are lined-up in a row, where the end hives frequently amass more bees, at the expense of the others.

Separation by a fair distance is the best solution, but different orientations of entrances helps - as does having different coloured entrances.

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:18:02 am »
Yep I alternate hive body colors...never the same colors side by side :-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:21:39 am »
The best time to swap positions is a week after the split, before the new queen emerges.  The worst time to swap positions is two weeks after the split as the new queen will be in the process of orienting and mating and she may not be home when you do it or may return to the position she was orienting to.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything