Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reason for poor brood pattern?  (Read 5342 times)

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
Reason for poor brood pattern?
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:22:11 pm »
Have only one hive.  Queen looks okay, brood area is about 6"x8" in the middle of a couple frames, but there is no solid brood pattern.  It's so sporadic that practically no capped brood cells are connected. 

Advice?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Reason for poor brood pattern?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:50:56 pm »
Are the adjoining frames mostly pollen. If so, move them out and put empty drawn comb in their place.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:54:17 pm »
you dont mention how strong of a hive you have there is several reasons for a spotty brood pattern can you give us more information
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:27:42 pm »
Poor brood pattern,... poor queen.
Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:57:22 pm »
Poor brood pattern,... poor queen.

May be new queen just starting out  :roll:

I need more information

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:40:12 pm »
also might have had a massive hatching out.  did you look closely at the empty cells to see if there were eggs in there again?  in a new hive, the queen will lay a lot of eggs all at once and they will pretty hatch out all at once...with in a day or so of each other.  the queen will go back and refill those cells.  you can have what looks like a poor brood pattern, but if you look very closely, you'll  see that the cells are refilled.

if you find that she is not refilling, then you have a problem.

did you check closely around that brood and on other frames to make sure she is continually laying.  you may have very small larvae or eggs elsewhere that you missed.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:32:49 am »
This hive seems pretty strong.  It made it through the winter and I've seen no signs of anything that I recognize as unhealthy.  The brood area (w/out the nice brood pattern) is on the middle frames in the middle of the hive.  I think I have gotten pretty skilled at looking for and finding eggs.  The queen seems to be continuing to lay, but in random places and I've not found any eggs in any place other than the established brood area.  I also did notice what looked like a recently opened queen cell on the bottom of a frame.  It still had a lot of something that looked like a pearly, white creamy substance in it. 

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:41:00 am »
sounds to me like you have had a swarm and the new queen is just starting to lay
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 12:48:30 pm »
You didn't answer about the pollen frames. If they are there, they act as a wall for the queen and she will not cross them. Move the pollen to the outside and she can start laying again.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »
What is the pearly white stuff in the queen cell? We destroyed one like that, (after we saw the queen, in a hive with good pattern)? Smushed queen larva?

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:26:55 am »
What is the pearly white stuff in the queen cell? We destroyed one like that, (after we saw the queen, in a hive with good pattern)? Smushed queen larva?

royal jelly

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 09:40:26 pm »
The tip of the queen cell looked chewed open and that's what I guessed the stuff was...royal jelly. 

I never noticed any particular pattern or frames filled with mostly pollen.   

anything