Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1917 Franklin - 40 MPG - Neat Set Up  (Read 513 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: 1917 Franklin - 40 MPG - Neat Set Up
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 08:42:15 am »
No one wants a car that can't get out of its own way.  Hybrids are the answer today because they use a very small engine to charge batteries and then use electric motors for propulsion.  The electric motor has phenomenal acceleration as long as you have stored the energy in a battery to draw from. Non of the electric vehicles get the mileage quoted because people have the accelerator pegged at the start.  Amazes me how many republicans have electric vehicles.  Oh yeah, that government hand out...  Republicans just can't resist.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 10:22:45 am »
Brian this car was built in 1917. Certainly no Indy track car winner lol. The purpose of posting this video was highlighting its unique engine design which (happened) to get good fuel millage. Nothing to do with politics or racing, 107 years ago or now.   :shocked: :wink:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 12:17:24 pm »
Phill, what mileage do you think the 1931 ford model A got? Up to 30 mpg but driving habits could bring it down to 20.  That is a 33% loss.  There have been vehicles that got 100mpg but no one wants to buy or drive them.  It is not technology.
Every time the government ups the rating on mpg for car manufacturers the manufacturers meet it.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 12:37:53 pm by Ben Framed »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 12:38:25 pm »
Phill, what mileage do you think the 1931 ford model A got? Up to 30 mpg but driving habits could bring it down to 20.  That is a 33% loss.  There have been vehicles that got 100mpg but no one wants to buy or drive them.  It is not technology.
Every time the government ups the rating on mpg for car manufacturers the manufacturers meet it.

I do not disagree with you.
"Again": it's the 'unique' motor design of the 1917 Franklin that was the intended focus. If these cars were the way to go and the best technology available, then they would still be on the road today.. A 1931 ford was light years down the highway compared to the early 'pioneering' technology of the 1917 Franklin. I simply appreciate the Franklin for what it was in its day...  Really unique original engineering at a time when future knowledge was yet to unfold..

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 09:02:09 am »
Most early engines were air cooled.  As the engines got bigger they needed to be liquid cooled.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything