Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do you do with your cappings?  (Read 1878 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What do you do with your cappings?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2023, 06:59:01 am »
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=55549.msg508129#msg508129

And you might enjoy the video which is to follow that post in reply 15..

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2023, 07:38:03 am »
For what it's worth I drain my capping's, turn them a few times and melt down what is left. I found pressing (after draining) was more effort than honey recovered. Also vertical fruit press are very inefficient trapping a load of honey inside the round plug (cavitation). The better presses are hydro presses which expand laterally, but are more expensive but do a great job.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 06:42:16 pm by The15thMember »

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2023, 10:33:13 am »
Ive often thought of getting a wax press.  Extruders are to expensive for sideliners and hobbyists.  I mostly use wax for coating foundation and candles.
I know a guy who uses a cheese/fruit press for wax, which is cheaper than the wax press in the bee supply catalog but essentially the same piece of equipment, and he loves it.  I almost bought one myself based on his recommendation.

Thats great.  One of the missing steps in some of the videos posted is wrapping the wax in cheese cloth.  It would make for much easier clean up.

Then there's always this!  On my wax bucket list to try.  So simple to make with stuff laying around in the barn or shed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzkxq7qGqxQ

Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2023, 11:03:20 am »
Ive often thought of getting a wax press.  Extruders are to expensive for sideliners and hobbyists.  I mostly use wax for coating foundation and candles.
I know a guy who uses a cheese/fruit press for wax, which is cheaper than the wax press in the bee supply catalog but essentially the same piece of equipment, and he loves it.  I almost bought one myself based on his recommendation.

Thats great.  One of the missing steps in some of the videos posted is wrapping the wax in cheese cloth.  It would make for much easier clean up.

Then there's always this!  On my wax bucket list to try.  So simple to make with stuff laying around in the barn or shed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzkxq7qGqxQ
That was interesting, I love seeing homebrewed solutions like that. Where in the ADK are you? I have a camp up near Saranac Lake.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2023, 06:04:00 am »
Max,

The amount of honey recovered compared to the time taken to do the work and then clean up the equipment is probably closer to a young child?s pocket money. Waste is not good but sometimes you have to use common sense and just put up with that sort of loss. Obviously large scale operations or people with a few hives would see it differently. Now that I use a wax melter to do the hard work for me, a lot of time is saved and the honey is still recovered.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2024, 07:56:06 pm »
Ive never to my knowledge had AFB, but I have had EFB and the chlorine solution is my go to. Thanks max for your input.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2024, 06:41:28 am »
If you put the cappings in a turkey roasting pan in the oven at 180 F or so you can melt the wax and separate the honey.  Then use that honey for baking and cooking.  After thoroughly draining of course.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2024, 06:48:27 am »
If you put the cappings in a turkey roasting pan in the oven at 180 F or so you can melt the wax and separate the honey.  Then use that honey for baking and cooking.  After thoroughly draining of course.
How many kg can one of these Turekey Roasting things hold?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2024, 07:30:29 am »
https://www.amazon.com/extra-large-roasting-pan-lid/s?k=extra+large+roasting+pan+with+lid

It would take some time to do five bucket loads.  I would guess somewhere between 7 to 10 batches.  But its not like you have to watch it the whole time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2024, 07:49:05 am »
How many kg can one of these Turekey Roasting things hold?
Probably just a couple, they're not all that huge. I'd guess that a big one would hold about two gallons of liquid. I could be off a little.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2024, 09:09:59 pm »
This cooked honey does a decent substitute for molasses in recipes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2024, 09:22:23 pm »
Matt I love that. Gotta tell me where you got it.