Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB in nucs  (Read 4143 times)

Offline moebees

• House Bee
Re: SHB in nucs
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 06:33:14 pm »
I saw on the other forum they are suggesting rock salt for under and around the hive to control weeds and kill SHB.

You know salting the land is what invading armies used to do back in the day to lands they left behind.  A variation on the scorched earth policy.  Why would someone do it to yourself?

Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:47 pm »
To get rid of last years salt?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 11:49:52 pm »
I saw on the other forum they are suggesting rock salt for under and around the hive to control weeds and kill SHB.

You know salting the land is what invading armies used to do back in the day to lands they left behind.  A variation on the scorched earth policy.  Why would someone do it to yourself?

Wow if it?s that effective I?m all in!  I don?t want anything growing under my stands anyways. Maybe I should be tossing the stuff in my landscape rock!  Weeds are an eternal struggle with me.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 12:57:20 am »
Here in Montana a huge train wreck has ensued as a result of someone bringing in nucs from Mississippi.  She reported to the DOA that she found two or three SHB.  As a result she has lost all her hives.  MT DOA came down on her so fast she had no idea what happened.  Not sure how things are in MN, but be careful who you talk to.
You are what you think.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 03:08:45 pm »
Here in Montana a huge train wreck has ensued as a result of someone bringing in nucs from Mississippi.  She reported to the DOA that she found two or three SHB.  As a result she has lost all her hives.  MT DOA came down on her so fast she had no idea what happened.  Not sure how things are in MN, but be careful who you talk to.

Oofta. Can?t have that. I?ve maybe squished a couple since they were installed.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 04:54:10 pm »
Small hive beetles will over winter in a cluster of bees. When the temperatures are 80 degrees and below it takes a small hive beetle egg 1 - 2 weeks to hatch. The beetles are after protein which the males will cannibalize the beetle eggs. BUT when the temperatures are in the mid 80's and up the beetle eggs will hatch in 3 days or so. That is when we start seeing infestations. You can treat the ground under the hives with Salt or chemicals but when the beetle larva starts crawling out of the hive to the soil the hive is usually devastated already. Treating the ground just breaks the beetles life cycle it does not help the hive. Small hive beetles can fly in from as far as 5 miles away. They tend to target hives that have a high varroa mite count at first then spread to all hives before they are done. Oil Traps help, Freeman beetle trays help and so do the Non Scented Dry Swiffer Pads. Just remember all we can do is manage the dreaded small hive beetles for anything that will kill a small hive beetle will kill a honeybee.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 09:55:49 pm »
If they can overwinter in the winter cluster why haven?t they moved further north?  It was always my understanding that they didn?t tolerate the cold.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 10:41:23 pm »
They are in all states except Alaska.  The northern climate doesn?t bode well for them and as as result beeks up north don?t have to worry about them quite as much but obviously we at least need to be aware of their potential
You are what you think.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 10:49:58 pm »
They are in all states except Alaska.  The northern climate doesn?t bode well for them and as as result beeks up north don?t have to worry about them quite as much but obviously we at least need to be aware of their potential

This is the first time I?ve ever seen one.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 08:42:22 am »
If they can overwinter in the winter cluster why haven?t they moved further north?
They have.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it