Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee keeping in the Adirondacks????? ANY INFO??  (Read 2743 times)

Offline tobeeornottobee

• Brood
bee keeping in the Adirondacks????? ANY INFO??
« on: February 10, 2008, 07:55:01 pm »
 I would really like to start bee keeping.  I live in Lake Placid and am very concerned about the bears.  Does anybody have some suggestions on getting a good start and being successful.  I would really love an indoor observation hive - but again the bears have a pretty good nose and I feel they would be too close for comfort.  So has anybody had success with a certain kind of set up that is somewhat bear "proof"?   

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: bee keeping in the Adirondacks????? ANY INFO??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:10:33 am »
Welcome to the forums.

There are several discussion on bears taking place here in the forums. You can use the search function to help find them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:12:28 am »
tobeeornottobee. Welcome to our forum, this is a wonderful and great place to spend time and learn.  Ask questions, all questions are important and will get great answers.  You have entered into a field of life that will keep you under the "spell of the honeybee". I love that phrase, it is so depictive of what happens when you keep bees, you ain't seen nothin' yet.  Enjoy your time here, it is a wonderful place to spend this time, and have a wonderful day, great day, love our earth. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:11:15 pm »
I would really like to start bee keeping.  I live in Lake Placid and am very concerned about the bears.  Does anybody have some suggestions on getting a good start and being successful.  I would really love an indoor observation hive - but again the bears have a pretty good nose and I feel they would be too close for comfort.  So has anybody had success with a certain kind of set up that is somewhat bear "proof"?   

Here are two threads to get you started:

Electric Fence or Wire Tape?

keeping away unwanted animals