Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A bit of a query:  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Lek

• New Bee
A bit of a query:
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:37:39 am »

I bought some diatomaceous earth from our local bee keeping supplier to make up a few SHB trap , It is a real grey colour, now looking at the DPI instruction on how to use the stuff I notice that the colour is pure white, they go on to say not to use any if it has been mixed with some other product.  If you have used this stuff, what was the colour of the diatomaceous earth you used , grey or white, and what results did you have with it? Also , can this stuff be purchased from hardware store, Bunnings etc.? DPI says it comes under the name Perma Guard D10.

DPI Link >>>>   http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/216835/Small-hive-beetle---an-in-hive-control-device-using-diatomaceous-earth.pdf

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
Re: a bit of a query:
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »
Hi Lek, the stuff I bought was grey.  I managed to wipe out my SHB problem at the moment by putting in crushed commercial Roach traps.
They seem to have worked great.
cheers
Steve

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:28:01 pm »
Lek, be careful with the stuff man, it kills gobs of insects, possibly including your bees. There are two types, one food grade, one not. I use it to keep parasites down in my chicken's crap.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Lek

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:59:45 am »
Ok, Looks like I better rethink, Steve, what with the roach baits, how do you go about putting crushed roach bait into the brood or honey super.  I thought I had the SHB under control, then  I had to move my hive in a big hurry to about 40 kms out, with the rain pelting down the way it has over the last couple of months I was unable to check them out until a few days ago, the SHB were pretty thick, and with the rain still coming down and is expected to last for a month or two yet . The hives are fairly strong, but I will need to help the girls out, they still got plenty of tucker to munch on, but it the SHB that concerns me at the moment……What you say JP about being careful has been a bit of a concern , I will take your advice and stay away from the stuff. …… thanks for the reply…..Lek.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:10:08 am »
Lek, I have been using DE as described in your DPI link with some success and haven't noticed any harm to the bees. If you follow their plan to the tee you shouldn't have problems.

I've been experimenting all year with different types of "passive kill" traps and these seem to work the best for me so far. It's not that I've noticed lots of dead beetles but more an absence of live ones. However, this could be attributed to many other factors.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Burnsy

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 08:36:57 am »
You can also buy diatomaceous earth from swimming pool shops as it is a filter medium.  I have only ever seen it as pure white.  It is basically the skeletons from single celled organisims called diatoms.

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:19 pm »
Hi Lek, what I mean about the crushed Cockroach baits is this, The kids squashed them to make the opennings to small for the bees to get in, we then put some sticky tape around them to keep them squashed.

I also double went to Bunnings and got some cockroach gel in a small tube and put some of that in the traps as well.

At the moment it appears to have smashed the crap out of the SHB.  I placed the cochroach baits in the brood chamber only.  I have also placed Beetle Jails in the supers and some diatomaceous traps in the brood chamber as well.

I know I have hit then SHB hard but I am down to four hives now and they are really starting to hum.

Cheers
Steve

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 10:17:47 pm »
Burnsy, the DE from pool supply places is not nearly as effective as it is ground too finely. For insects you should be looking for agricultural grade.

The active ingredient in roach gels is typically fipronil, a chemical with dubious effect to the bees and honey. If using DE as a passive approach why use fipronil?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907