Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Anne's Lace  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Queen Anne's Lace
« on: July 13, 2008, 11:16:19 pm »
My fields are loaded with the white flat-topped blooms of Queen Anne's Lace.  Do these blooms provide a necatar flow that the bees will use?
Brian

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: Queen Anne's Lace
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:38:34 pm »
Not that I can tell.  I have a bunch and never see a bee on them.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:53:03 pm »
Does it make any sense then to overseed my fields with plants that bees will use?  I ahve about fifteen acres of usable space with the rest being in forest.  I do not use the land for anything other than training my dogs, so the flora is really not important: any will do.  Do those of you with acreage plant for bees?
Brian

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:24:30 am »
I have seen only 1 honey bee this year working a carrot flower. After that, nothing else. Mostly hover flies, assorted ants and beetles.

I don't really have acreage to talk of but I certainly plant for my bees. Even the few mint plants, mostly weeds, I have seem to effect the honey I have. When harvesting I actually found a patch of light colored honey on a frame that tasted like mint. Of course it's drown out when mixed with everything else they harvested.

Borage, Cosmos, Poppies, Dahlias, Cone flowers, Sunflowers, Clover are all nice plants to have. Not all are appropriate for cover crops but they're all easily found in most nurseries.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:33:34 am »
i am liking the buckwheat.  the bees are all over it!  it is cheaper than white clover.  it is also doing well with our suddenly hot and dry conditions.  no rain to speak of for a month and it is still blooming.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:52:20 am »
i am liking the buckwheat.  the bees are all over it!  it is cheaper than white clover.  it is also doing well with our suddenly hot and dry conditions.  no rain to speak of for a month and it is still blooming.

Doesn't Buckwheat have a problem after two years? I thought something happened if you don't harvest it doesn't it spread or something?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 07:02:09 am »
buckwheat reseeds itself readily so if you don't mow it before it goes to seed it will regrow.

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 07:59:41 am »
How late can you plant buckwheat?  In Ohio.

Thanks.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 09:45:36 am »
Brian, if you want some easy crop to grow on those 15 acres and don't care if they self seed. These are plants that I would sow.  I have some very large areas sown with these crops several years ago.  I gather the seed and spread it other places on my property.  These plants I will tell you about will set flowers about 6 weeks after germination of the seed.  Once you have these plants they will be yours forever more.  They self-seed themselves prolifically and are excellent cover crops.  Do a search on these plants in our forum, you will see threads with pictures.

Firstly, Phacelia Tanacetifolia
Borage officinalis
Buckwheat

All three are fast growing, fast flowering and will take an awful lot of drought-like conditions.  The bees cover these plants and provide amazing nectar and pollen.  They can be sown a couple of times during a growing season to keep the blooms constant.  So, these are my main suggestions if you want to have large areas, sown very cheaply with seed.

Good luck to find what you will to sow on the land.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, love our great lives we are all living and sharin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:36:41 am »
Will buckwheat grow in the south what are the hardiness zones

Keith

Offline lovelyembalmer

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:39:55 am »
Queen Ann's Lace may not be a bee flower, but it sure works for Kidney Stones.  Dry it and when you feel like an attack is coming on, make a strong tea and drink.  It disolves the stones.