Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: *tap tap tap* Is this thing on?  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
  • Sailing on silver wings
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on?
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:04:24 am »
Greetings from Woodstock Georgia!
I've decided I want to start a colony for my garden.
My friend Ralph has three and is going to assist me some.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: *tap tap tap* Is this thing on?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:11:05 am »
Hello and Welcome Cockatoo   
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny   

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:13:36 am »
My biggest concern is not becoming a bee stinger pin cushion!  :shock:

Though Ralph's bee are SOOOO docile, he wears shorts and flip flops when tending them.
He's gonna catch me a swarm from his colony.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:10:23 pm »
Welcome to beemaster!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:06:46 pm »
Welcome Aboard :)

About stings, sure they have pain involved - you need to know your limit of stings too, it's common to build tolerence after enough stings, but much of it is doing your best to NOT disrupt the hive more than necessary and to dress with confidence.

As your friend does, many of us are in shorts and a teeshirt (I don't do flip-flops) but I don't know how good an idea that is anyway.

I did two full seasons of beesting therapy on my neck which got hurt in a very bad fall: I grabbed workers on their way out of the hive using tweasers by their head (quick and painless) and touched the abdomin on my neck, the sting reflex gets you stung every time that way. I was between 30 to 40 bees at a time, but my point is, that when you sting yourself on each side of the neck, all the stings in the middle make very little pain increase difference. Honestly, 40 felt no worse that 2 - of course THAT is all in one area, you don't want to spead that around cause it sure would ouch a lot, and all the many pressure points and tender spots are a real bugger, but being JUST ANOTHER BEE in your bee yard is a good way to think of being a hobbyist.

The bees have their jobs to and you have yours, confidence is a magical force that really carries over similar to how to handle an occurance with a strange dog. If you are not confident or scared, the bees will know it - and I always like to say, make sure that you are setup for whatever it is you are going to do with your hive, a good example is to have a place to place hive boxes down BEFORE you lift them up - simple things make a huge difference. Your prep time makes any thing you do with the bees better for both of you.

Welcome aboard again, enjoy the forum and great beekeeping.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:15:11 pm »
Ralph just called me to let me know that scouts have scoped my hive box already!  :-D

Hey, when am I allowed to post photos?
Is it by post count or by days?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:49:07 pm »
Cockatoo.  Welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  So nice too that you are taking up with the bees, it is such an interesting and great thing to do, you will love your bees.  It is so interesting, as a matter of fact, that one you begin, you will have a hard time to think of anything else, smiling, you will be held under the spell of that honeybee.  Stick around, this will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, meet new friends.  AND...have that most wonderful and awesome day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:16:40 pm »
Cockatoo:

You should have photo / link posting abilities now. Have fun and if any troubles, you will find a detailed walkthrough in the Admin Forum. Again, have fun :)

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 01:20:37 pm »
Thanks!
I'm no spammer or troublemaker!
I just want to learn about beekeeping and share my other hobbies!

I'm gonna go post photos of my Won Ton Soup recipe.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:43 pm »
I make a great dumpling myself - both steamed and pot sticker types. Pork and water chestnuts, dark soy and sesame oil - need to write it out and post it. Kinda basic recipe, but the trick is in wrapping for fried ones, I do a mean mini hotpocket wrap that I've cut up, added to cream cheese and stuff in thinly pounded chicken - really neat combo that I do every Christmas party at work.

About spammers and such, we are lucky here - the mods and software do a great job of handling such issues pretty quick. And about learning what you need to about beekeeping, I think our group has that covered really well :)

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:57:10 pm »
You'll be seeing me a bunch in the cooking area!  :-D

And one thing I love to cook with - Honey!