Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fruit Orchard  (Read 4404 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Fruit Orchard
« on: March 10, 2016, 09:13:45 pm »
Does anyone plant fruit trees and or bushes? I started about 5 years ago and now at 31 I have 13 blueberry bushes, 2 cherry trees, 2 plum trees, 2 pear trees, 2 peach trees, 2 blackberry bushes, 3 fig trees, 3 apple trees, and 2 pomegranate bushes. I am thinking about adding another pear tree, apple tree and some plumcots next year.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: Fruit Orchard
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 09:46:29 pm »
I picked up 50 M-III rootstocks and 20 pear today to do some grafting this weekend.  I have over 50 apples from 5 years on down. Would love to have some fruit some day.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:20:03 pm »
I do not do any grafting even though I know how. The blueberries really are producing for me starting last year and everything else is just not getting into stride. I am hoping within the next year or so to really have a nice harvest of fruit. What type of pears and apples.

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 01:07:07 am »
I have grapes, 6 peach, 6 apple. two asian pear, two morning glow pear  and a couple of plum trees.  Last year I grafted two asian pear to some large suckers that I had planted and they took so did two more yesterday and have my fingers crossed. 

I was going to spray dormant oil on the trees but waited too long as the peach now have blooms about to open. 

One of plum may have been miss labled cause to me the leaves don't look right.  I will wait and see on it. 

I need to plant a differrent kind of apple so I can get good cross polination with the ones I have but didn't get it done last year.  I hope I do better this year.  I also would like to get some cherry.  The trees I planted 20 years ago finaly just died out. 

I never have luck with anything but peaches and plums.  I got good cherrys most year when I lived at a differrent place.  I started more grapes but have only actually got grapes for maby two years out of the last 20 years.  Moved some to full sun.
I want more but am cheap and usually buy the stuff in late summer when  on clearance.  That is why all my apple trees ended up being the same type apple (red delushious think) and why I have no cherries.

Cheers
gww

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 12:18:44 pm »
My pluot trees are just starting to bud. My apple trees should be showing signs of life in 2-3 weeks. I also have some Asian pears that have buds that are starting to swell. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 02:23:10 pm »
Yall stay on top the pear/apple tree during blooming season. I had fire blight hit me hard last year.

We have 3 different types of blueberries. They come into harvest at different times. I love walking around my yard plucking and eating fruit.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 08:26:44 pm »
I have about 40 Honeycrisp and Golden Delicious in the ground and 6 Bartlett.  All planted within the last 3 years.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 10:36:03 pm »
apples - Smokehouse, Albemarle Pippin, Arkansas Black, Stayman, York, Summer Rambo, Grimes Golden, Gold Rush, Gravenstein,Thompson County King, Granny Smith, HoneyCrisp, Ida Red, Lady, Pristine,Yellow Transparent, Nelson County Crab, Hyslop Crab (Did I mention I like apples? I don't know that any of these will produce in my neck of the woods... if a few ever do, then I will topwork all the others and convert the mixed trees to something that will work here.

Damson plums, Greengage plum, sour cherries, Brown Turkey Figs

Pears - Bartlett, Burford, Kieffer, Magness... and then graftings off a 100+ year old tree from my dad's place that we call Boxwood because it grows next to a boxwood.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 11:51:02 pm »
I have 12 apple, 2 almond, 1 apricot, 6 cherry, 2 nectarine,  5 plum and one mulberry tree.  I also have grapes, raspberries, blackberries and gooseberries. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 11:37:45 am »
I keep planting fruit trees.  Every variety I can find of apples, peaches, pears, plums, apricots, cherries and anything else I can think of that might grow here...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 12:55:32 pm »
I have planted apple, peach, pear, pecan, lemon, satsuma, grapefruit, blueberry and blackberry. The apple,  and peach barely survived and hardly produce The pear did not. We removed what was left of the peach because it never produced in 9 years. My Pecans in town are doing great but at the farm 3 of the original 8  barely survive. It is great being able to walk out side and pick and eat fresh fruit right off the tree.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:15 am »
Jim, do you have enough chill hours for peaches, pears, & apples?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:03 pm »
Jim, do you have enough chill hours for peaches, pears, & apples?
At my farm, my neighbor has 2 pear trees that when we do not have a late frost, like last year, produce large amounts of pears. You have to get trees that do not need the deep freezes.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 03:13:42 pm »
I also planted Duncan Chestnut Trees. They are good pollen producers I hear.  I have to be very selective on my apples and pears trees to make sure I get low chill hour varieties. I have also taken a step out and planted a few olive trees.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 03:09:30 pm »
I have apple trees and blue berry bushes. I have some raspberry bushes but I also have a lot of wild apple trees, wild blackberries and wild blueberries. I am thinking about taking some bees to my parents where they have a lot of blueberries.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 09:28:58 pm »
I have apple trees and blue berry bushes. I have some raspberry bushes but I also have a lot of wild apple trees, wild blackberries and wild blueberries. I am thinking about taking some bees to my parents where they have a lot of blueberries.
Eric,
Have you tried fertilizing your wild berries. We did that to our wild blackberries last year and for the first time we got a bumper crop. It was a good thing we did, our blueberry crop was a flop.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 04:47:37 pm »
I have had great success fertilizing my non wild blueberries. They are producing another bumper crop this year.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 01:24:46 am »
My apple trees are starting to bud, what kind if fertilizer are you guys putting down now?  My tree supplier says 15-5-10 as the buds open.  What say you?

anything