Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow the Bloom - 2024  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Follow the Bloom - 2024
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2024, 12:33:41 am »
I saw these bees on this water lilly on the Caribbean island of Martinique a few days ago. Their buzzing sounded strange... Until I remembered they only speak in French on the island.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2024, 08:16:08 pm »

The early flow mustn't be too good because my bees aren't drawing yet.  I weirdly don't seem to have written this down in my records for previous years, but I feel like this is kind of late to not have seen any new comb.

Just my observation. The bees, if in swarm mode dont draw like the bees in preservation mode do. When I see white wax, thats my first sign the bees that I didnt keep up with and were in reproduction mode are ending that cycle, and going into self preservation.

The Blackberry is in full bloom almost over. Spring TiTi, Black TiTi, Buckwheat, Whatever "you" call it is now blooming, quarter way through. galberry is blooming. The chinese tallow looks to be about 2.5 to 3 weeks out. And Im hoping the  Palmetto Gods are good to me this year

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2024, 12:31:13 am »
Just my observation. The bees, if in swarm mode dont draw like the bees in preservation mode do. When I see white wax, thats my first sign the bees that I didnt keep up with and were in reproduction mode are ending that cycle, and going into self preservation.
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "preservation mode".  Do you just mean the opposite of swarming, like just normal colony operations?  I have some small colonies that definitely aren't in swarm mode right now, and they aren't drawing either.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2024, 05:46:29 am »
Wild plums are in full bloom.  My crabapple bloomed yesterday.  I took bees to an apple orchard Saturday and it was just starting to bloom.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2024, 07:08:46 am »
Mr Bush, I know nothing of crabapples for the consideration of bees. Do apples produce a fair amount of nectar for honey? If so is it a light honey or dark honey?

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2024, 08:58:35 am »
The bees are always all over the crabapple tree in my yard.  They certainly work apples.  I have no idea what the honey is like.  This is the build up.  They will burn it all up raising brood.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Caashenb

• New Bee
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2024, 01:55:22 pm »
vetch is all starting to bloom today.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2024, 06:30:24 pm »
Saw Low Bush Gallberry in bloom today. High Bush Gallberry has small buds.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2024, 07:15:27 pm »
The crabapples just opened here too.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2024, 03:53:23 pm »
I?m seeing High and Low Bush Galleries starting to bloom as well Black Gum (Tupelo) and a week ago I saw palmetto buds were starting. If this is the case all over this area then it will bee a repeat of last year and a very poor honey harvest.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2024, 10:57:18 pm »
on photo is of a Compacta Holly, a landscape shrub used for foundation planting. I think it makes a nice 8-10 foot small tree form if limbed up. The bees are all over it today, with its little, almost unnoticeable flowers.
The large flower is from a Tulip Poplar tree in my neighborhood, a very tall, straight woodland tree, and one of the major nectar flow sources in Georgia.

Online FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2024, 10:57:08 am »
American Baskeflower beginning here.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2024, 07:09:36 pm »
The black cherry is starting here, and I saw open tulip poplars in Cherokee earlier in the week, so ours should be close, if not also open.  My poplars are so large I need binoculars to see the flowers.  :grin:  Hopefully we'll get some nectar coming in soon.  I had to give two of my small colonies some extra honey today.  Pollen is fine though, I took a pint out of my pollen trap after less than 24 hours!  :shocked: 

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2024, 07:33:51 pm »
Blackberries are blooming pretty heavily here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2024, 07:37:17 pm »
Blackberries are blooming pretty heavily here.
AAHH!!  Send them my way!  :grin:

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2024, 01:13:38 am »
And MiracleGro. Apparently they like that stuff. The last two times I?ve fed the stuff I sprouted, the bees came and drank all the blue water.

There are several 5-6 down in the cups, but you can see one here just getting ready to land in a tomato cup stage left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2024, 10:23:25 pm »
Blackgum is in bloom. I can hear the bees a fair distance from the tree.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2024, 12:16:38 pm »
The black locust is starting now, as is the multiflora rose, so I might be in the clear.  We'll see what things look like in the hives next weekend.

anything