Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Labels?  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Labels?
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:03:04 am »
looks like i may end up with enough honey to sell some this year!  that means i need some labels.  anyone have a great source, or program for doing your own?  i looked at the pre-printed but none of them say 'raw' on them.  since i live in the land of the tree huggers, that one word is worth a few bucks  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
Re: Labels?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:03:55 pm »
Probably the easiest way is to pick a size label that you like at the office supply store from a brand such as Avery. They have free software for you to use on your computer. Then you can find a picture of a bee or just use words to make your label. After you print some, go to the local hobby store or hardware store and buy a can of clear spray paint. Very lightly "dust" the label with the clear, almost like a dry dust. If you do this a couple or three times, it will become waterproof enough to stay on the jar without running each time someone picks up the jar.

Good luck

Dennis

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:11:34 pm »
KathyP one of the main suppliers carries the Laser labels and MS Word template... so you can print what you want on the label. I did that last year and it worked great. I need to order more, just need to find out who I bought them from.  Ok found it:  Labels here

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

bigbearomaha

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:16:05 pm »
Same thing, do it yourself labels.

and, I just use OpenOffice (similar to MS Office) there are label templates for just about every type of label based on Avery.  Download a template for free and print to your hearts content.

Big Bear

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:18:43 pm »
thanks.  i'll look into it.  don't know how creative i am, but that looks less expensive that ordering the printed labels.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:39:31 pm »
I use onlinelabels.com. They have a great design program which is free if you purchase the labels from them.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:52:22 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:42:47 pm »
MISS Kathy; when you get her figured, talk me through it. thanks   bud
to bee or not to bee

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 02:32:44 pm »
I use Avery Labels with their own publishing program, as mentioned in a prior post.  It works great.

Offline hoku

• New Bee
    • Monkeypod Organics
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 03:09:33 pm »
I'm with Annette.  I had good success with onlinelabels.com and their label designer program is SUPER easy.  I printed them in color at my local print shop and they turned out nice.   Figured I spent about 25 cents per label altogether.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 03:53:27 pm »
you guys freaking rock , I was going to buy those generic labels, but now can design my own

thanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:18:37 pm »
right bud.  if i ever figure it out!   :evil:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 04:56:18 pm »
I used the print your own labels from Brushy this year.   I liked the biscuit label.   The wife liked the black honey and sunflower one.   So we split the order and we will see which one sells best.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »
what avery labels do you use for:

bears

1lb plastic jars?

thanks

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 06:56:11 pm »
I use Amy's Labels.  Amy Leebold [amysbeelabels@hotmail.com]  She specializes in honey labels and is cost reasonable and great to work with.  There's a set up charge but after that just reorder.  I use them for my 8 oz, 12 oz (bears), 1 lb, 2 lb (queenline jars), 5 lb (jug), comb (box) and pollen offerings.  She also has little round labels that you can customize to indicate the varietal honey type you're offering.  The labels look very professional and hold up nicely to repeated handling.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 08:23:51 pm »
I'm with Annette.  I had good success with onlinelabels.com and their label designer program is SUPER easy.  I printed them in color at my local print shop and they turned out nice.   Figured I spent about 25 cents per label altogether.

Get the Brushy ones... they are about 12cents a label (laser)  if you order the 5 pack. Pretty good deal. Their template is easy to use. The link above won't work... but you can search for "laser label".

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 08:56:02 pm »
Brushy is running a sale on the flat rectangle labels for bears that you can print.   250 label roll for 8.95.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 10:02:19 pm »
No help with labels, but congrats on having enough honey to sell!!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 10:14:10 pm »
thanks.  the last couple of years have been pretty sad.  just enough for family.  this year, the heavy spring rain turned out to be a blessing.  heavy bloom on everything.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »
You can also buy the nutritional labels already preprinted from the major bee supply stores.
linda d