Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lazy/slow starting queen? Or Dud?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline derekNGA

• New Bee
Lazy/slow starting queen? Or Dud?
« on: March 31, 2018, 07:59:49 pm »
Location middle Ga..  6 over wintered hives.  2 have already swarm.  All hives are very active but one.  Still has a good amount of bees but just very little activity each day.  About 3 weeks ago during inspection queen was on inner top cover alone.  As she was today.  A full hive inspection and I found no brood of any stage.  I know all my hive act a little different and just wondering if this queen needs replacing or just waiting for good hot weather to start??
On another note, my strongest hive swarm today...got to witness from beginning to end.  They are in a hive box now but just keep acting like they are not "home".  My only in life 3 other caught swarms all began immediately cleaning house and carrying on regular as soon as putting them in a hive box.  Do some just take much longer or is there a way to get their "brain" off of waiting for scouts to return to the mindset of we are home sweet home!
Thanks for any replies...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Lazy/slow starting queen? Or Dud?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 09:02:07 pm »
After she soaks in a couple ounces of alcohol, she will make a good swarm lure. Other than that, she's useless.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 10:50:19 pm »
Since the other hive swarmed, I would go in that hive and remove one frame with a queen cell, make sure you leave at least one queen cell, and remove the other queen, insert it in the weak hive. Do not inspect for 3 weeks to give the new queen a chance to prove herself before you disturb the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:18:00 am »
sawdstmakr beat me to it, but that was what I was thinking too. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 11:45:14 am »
Could do the alcohol bath and a fresh frame of eggs or young larvae.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything