Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Still cold here...  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
Still cold here...
« on: March 22, 2018, 09:22:38 am »
In Central Ontario winter is hanging on for dear life. We've only had a few days where it's gone over freezing, and most nights lately have been way below that. Obviously nothing is blooming. I peeked in my hive last week - it was sunny and a bit warmer that day - removed the insulation from the top super and was relieved to see my girls alive inside. Gave them a half frame of honey from last fall and a few sugar Patties. Is it ok to feed syrup at this time of year? And if so, 2:1? Just need to get them through til dandelion season.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
Re: Still cold here...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:21:35 am »
Unfortunately it is cold in western New York as well. Frosts my buns (pun intended) to read of swarms down south already. Just envious I guess.

Congrats on your girls making it this far.

I have always been told to not feed liquid until the temps are above 50F.
Until then I use a simple sugar cake placed on the top bars.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 12:46:43 pm »
I guess I'll wait. Poor little bees.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 05:42:16 am »
They are not poor under your care.  No syrup yet just give them the sugar bricks for now.
As long as they are not starving because of early brood up they will be fine.   If you want to make them
brood up faster then add both sugar bricks and pollen subs.   No matter what when it is early Spring time they
will brood up anyways.   Try to avoid starvation because of this issue.