Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dogs and Honey Bees?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Dogs and Honey Bees?
« on: May 26, 2016, 04:59:53 pm »
Should I be concerned to let my dog around the hives? Do dogs get hurt really bad or in a dangerous way from bee stings?

Offline brolib

• New Bee
Re: Dogs and Honey Bees?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:51:49 pm »
Depends. I took my two dogs for a walk near my hives. The little black spaniel was attacked by several bees. The much larger, light colored greyhound was hardly bothered. I have heard honeybees don't like dark colors. Now I believe it.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:58:51 pm »
Most dogs are fine. Some are allergic. My bichon has them land o. Him and does not sting him. He does not pay them any attention. And he is my drip picker upper.

John

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:39:59 pm »
I have dogs, chicken, cats, and birds and they all seem to get along.  It is me in the white suit that they go after ... How come?  Because I pose a threat to them.  Yet in cooler weather my jacket is jet black and I can walk within inches of the hive and they don't care.  I don't think color is that big a deal.  I think intervention is the deal so if your dogs are mouthing off (like a cocker spaniel would) showing some aggression to the hive it might get taught a lesson.  But you can't teach a cocker spaniel no matter what color it is.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:10:59 pm »
I'm a vet - most bee stings for dogs will cause swelling (especially if they are stung on the head/face) which we usually treat with an antihistamine injection. If your dog is stung and you notice facial swelling or anything else unusual, head straight to a vet and it's normally a pretty easy fix.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:12:59 pm »
I have a Golden Retreaver that has free run of the back yard where I have up to 12 hives. She hardly pays any attention to the bees. I watched our last Goldy stick his nose in the entrance of a hive the first time he was out there with them. No reaction what so ever even though I think he was stung. Never did it again.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 02:35:06 pm »
My golden was popped on the nose by a scorpion as a puppy and has a healthy respect for not "sniffing" insects. But she pretty much ignores the hive to such an extent that she wanders around the hives wagging her tail and swiping any bees on the landing board...I have seen a few come after her and land on her but her coat is so thick they havent gotten to her and she ignores them as she ambles along on her doggy way.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 07:22:21 pm »
My Black lab got stung as a pup when he snapped a bee.. his face swelled up, lips all puffy and his nose ran.. took him three days to return to normal.. he has been with me in the bee yards every day, from that day to this and as far as I know has never snapped another bee and has not been stung again.. though when the bees get riled if I have to work them more than usual, he retires to the deck about thirty yards away to watch. yeah, he is black, walks among the bees on a daily basis and more or less ignores them... Unless of course, i cut out comb that has honey in it, thats a whole nother story....
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:25:47 pm »
Everybody has a sweet tooth...
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 07:26:18 pm »
I will just leave my old 12 year old black lab out of the bees. She is old but curious still. As for my wild cats yeah they have all probably been stung as they have tried to catch the bees when they see them out.

Offline Noelzy

• New Bee

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 09:16:00 am »
My poor Bella is much to fat for that suite

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 10:34:16 am »
We have two great Danes. One of them is very smart about bees and just lays in the shade and watches me work. The other we call the "honey bear". If she gets a chance, she'll stick her head into a super and grab a bite of comb. She gets stung, of course, and then she'll run around rubbing her face in the grass. Then she'll do it again if she gets another chance.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 12:02:35 pm »
When I had bees at the house...my dogs learned what not to do quick   :shocked:
John 3:16

Offline Playapixie

• New Bee
  • Caretaker of the Sweet Jaimies and the Shura Bees!
    • Playapixie
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 09:03:10 pm »
I have a mini poodle mix that I sometimes see shaking a paw and I'll occasionally pull a bee off, but she never seems to get swollen or hurt. She occasionally sticks her nose in a hive entrance but I don't think she's been stung that way. Makes me nervous, but she hasn't been hurt yet. However, I've been stung by a bee that hitched a ride into the house on her coat...

Dawn Bustanoby
Seattle, WA
http://www.playapixie.org
"Let the beauty we love be what we do."  ~Rumi

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 09:34:15 pm »
The worst was when my standard poodle got into a nest of ground hornets. They got into his curly fur so deep that you couldn't find them all and they were stinging him long after we were far away from the nest. I was finding hornets in his fur hours later. Anyway he didn't have a bad reaction except for the fact that he would not walk anywhere near where the hornet incident occurred for years afterward.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 03:59:10 pm »
My Chester is a Wirehair Pointing Griffon.  A birddog.  Bees fly, so he's very interested in them.  Interested enough to catch and eat them.  Interested enough to get stung inside the mouth sometimes, or around his nose and ears.   Interested enough in them that I use an old kennel to cage him out away from my hives!  Apparently, bees are sweet and worth the occasional sting, by his way of thinking.

He mostly goes after the dying bees moving on the ground away from the hives, but will often snap at, and sometimes catch, those bees foolish enough to fly low within range.

Last year he came into the bee kennel while I was working on them and started sniffing at the entrance to my strongest hive and got several stings to the face.  He hasn't done that since!  But he will still eat them outside the cage and suffer the consequences.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 06:08:33 am »
I caught this on an African bee site.
It could well be p'shpd but given the general
quality of posts I do not think so.
I would have thought the pup died, asphyxiated (sp?)
but the poster just said "my poor dog".

Bill

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »
I know someone that had a dog die from bee stings last summer.  It was a small dog and they had a nasty hive so the dog got stung multiple times.  It generally isn't a problem if you have decent bees.  The best thing is if the dog hasn't been around hives before they will generally run up and sniff the entrance and get stung.  They usually don't want to go near the hives after that. 
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini